Coyote glazes - which clay bodies work?

Hi,,,,I use Coyote Clay Glazes a lot, I just now for the first time, (they are in the kiln) used the Key Lime, but all others I use are stunning...I too use Standard Clay, but I use 266, a dark chocolate clay when fired to cone 6. Here are a few pics, colors are Sedona Sunset, Really Red, I will take more of Leopard Shino, Blue Shino, and Key Lime, when they come out of kiln today.. Glazed a mug with the Gun Metal but it wont be fired till later in week.

post-11881-134669247112_thumb.jpg

post-11881-134669247112_thumb.jpg

I use Standard clay bodies and the coyote glaze I particularly like, Gun Metal Green, doesn't work on the 112 brown clay (c 4 - 6) I have been using. Does anyone out there have experience with Standard and which of their products work well with Coyote glazes?

For what it's worth, 266 has manganese in it, and that can affect glazes. Standard has a ^5/6 line of glazes, and recently got into layering. There's a color chart at

http://www.standardceramic.com/index.html

I use Standard clay bodies and the coyote glaze I particularly like, Gun Metal Green, doesn't work on the 112 brown clay (c 4 - 6) I have been using. Does anyone out there have experience with Standard and which of their products work well with Coyote glazes?

I also use Standard 112... We've nicknamed it Chocolate Chip. Seems more fitting than 'brown'. My personal preference is Opulence Smokey Mountain Mist (Pictures attached), Blue Monday and Celedon. Sea Spray fits nicely too, but it's very pale pale green. When it's nice out, I like to spray glazes... 2 or 3 layers, sprayed on very thin, and I've had no issues with "fit". Love the speckles in 112. Feels like good old fashioned 'antique' pottery to me.

I, at one time, was completely in love with Blue Purple from Coyote. I must have special ordered - dry, ten pounds, four or five times. I used a dozen pints. (All on Flint Hills Buff or Black. Fired to cone 6. This was prior to discovering Standard Clay 112). Then, it started to "peel" off of fired mug/pitcher/bowl lips. Any vertical edge. I loved the color, but I never could decide what the peeling was all about.

post-6960-134669709777_thumb.jpg

post-6960-134669713216_thumb.jpg

post-6960-134669709777_thumb.jpg

post-6960-134669713216_thumb.jpg

Nor have I had any fit issues with Amacos potters choice glazes. I really like blue rutile.

I cannot add a thing to this other to say when I went to the coyote web site and saw what they cost I was floored. The prices are to the moon for them. I'm really glad I make all my own glaze.

Mark

If only I was ready for that! But thats also one of the things that I love about Opulence. At least twice as much glaze for your money. (Besides being easy to spray, dip or brush, and they don't run!)

T

The Gun Metal green is challenging to get to be consistent. I love it when it works; which is in a wide range from the grey to the blue/green. I have fired NUMEROUS pieces with the same clay body and had a range of effects...from beautiful to flat out ugly. They will tell you the same if you call Coyote for pointers. If a piece comes out ugly try layering Mottled blue over it and refiring ...Good luck!

I have used a lot of the Coyote Glazes in the past. The only time I had a problem was with a light brown clay with a bit of grog in the body. If I used that clay, the Ice blue, the Blue purple would shiver right off the rim. I deduced those glazes must not have been a good fit for the clay. I have used Gun Metal Green without a problem on brown clay and on white stoneware. I am not familar with Standard, I am only able to get Laguna most of the time.

I use a white stoneware and have used plenty of Coyote glazes. I love to try to get Ice Blue to work. When it does, its awesome. It has issues with uneven applications. It tends to go dark in those areas.

Gun Metal Green is good, and I found it important to get the firing temp right. For my clay, I fire it to cone 5 with a 15 minute hold. Cone 6 tends to result in it getting dark grey streaks instead of the nice green.

Layering black and Mottled Blue results in cool effects (2 black under, 2 mottled blue over). Even coats are a must.

Good luck.

Marc

My Key Lime on Standard 266 was a disaster....I have no idea what went wrong, but the glaze practically melted down the mug, and in the bottom it looked like craters on the moon. All the other pieces in the load were great. So, will just keep using the Sedona and the Really Red and the Blue Shino, but will find out what happened and why so I may try it again.

The Potters Choice Glazes are fabulous on any type of clay I have used them on, but the darker the clay, the more dramatic the outcome..

the manganese in the standard 266 does react with some glazes, but not very often. I used Potters Choice Iron Lustre on the 266 and the color was stunning. Fired to cone 5, no hold, oxidation kiln, slow fire. I have to go now and get the Key Lime off of the bottom shelf of the kiln. bye for now.

I've been using Coyote's glazes (mostly the shino series so far, but I recently branched into Mottled Blue and Red Gold) with Standard 211 (^6 Hazelnut). The *only* thing I've noticed is that if I try to pour the glaze (say, on the inside of a cup or bowl) it doesn't run off fast enough before drying and will be "crackled" unless I wait for it to dry and then buff out the crackles with my finger. Other than being aware of that, I've had pretty good results!

I have not tried Gun Metal Green yet....that's part of the "Archie's Glazes" series, which they say flat out does not work with all clay bodies (including 112). Have you tried any other Coyote glaze series, like the shinos or gloss glazes?

(**edited to fix 240 to 211. Oops! I have a box of 240 I'm planning to try when the 211 runs out....)

I've been using Coyote's glazes (mostly the shino series so far, but I recently branched into Mottled Blue and Red Gold) with Standard 240 (^6 Hazelnut). The *only* thing I've noticed is that if I try to pour the glaze (say, on the inside of a cup or bowl) it doesn't run off fast enough before drying and will be "crackled" unless I wait for it to dry and then buff out the crackles with my finger. Other than being aware of that, I've had pretty good results!

I have not tried Gun Metal Green yet....that's part of the "Archie's Glazes" series, which they say flat out does not work with all clay bodies (including 112). Have you tried any other Coyote glaze series, like the shinos or gloss glazes?

Yes, I've tried a number of the Coyote's and the only one I've had a problem with is the Gun Metal Green. I've also not had problems with any of the Potter's Choice glazes by Amaco.

My Key Lime on Standard 266 was a disaster....I have no idea what went wrong, but the glaze practically melted down the mug, and in the bottom it looked like craters on the moon. All the other pieces in the load were great. So, will just keep using the Sedona and the Really Red and the Blue Shino, but will find out what happened and why so I may try it again.

The Potters Choice Glazes are fabulous on any type of clay I have used them on, but the darker the clay, the more dramatic the outcome..

the manganese in the standard 266 does react with some glazes, but not very often. I used Potters Choice Iron Lustre on the 266 and the color was stunning. Fired to cone 5, no hold, oxidation kiln, slow fire. I have to go now and get the Key Lime off of the bottom shelf of the kiln. bye for now.

You said you glazed a mug with the Gun Metal Green on Standard 266...how did it turn out?

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

I got to wondering about the ingredients in the 266 and saw that there was a post that said it had mangenese in it, and that would react to some of the glazes. Standard website doesn't say what the percentage is, so I emailed them and Julie was very accomodating for us and said that there was only about 1 1/2 percent of manganese in the 266, it had a LOT of iron in it. The small amount of the mang should not affect any glaze we use, but the iron definitely will. She didn't say what the percentage of iron was, but from my experience some of the glazes used on this clay come out so absolutely georgeous it is mind boggling, especially when layering Potters Choice Iron Stone or Iron Lustre. But then again, some of those glazes are, well, a disaster....Gun metal green runs so badly, and it is def not any color of green I have ever seen, I had to take a side grinder to grind off the drips, even using Kiln Wash, and the Key Lime from Coyote turned out dangerous, with craters that cracked inside, and shivering outside. So I may try them one more time in a different application, but I am not going to be to hopeful that those glazes will work with the 266.

Of all the clays I have ever used, the 266 is the messiest, but it is by far the most beautiful when glazed with the right colors. Will send a few pics of it with PC Seaweed, Indigo Float, Layering of Deep Sienna Speckle under Ancient Jasper (awesome!) and am now doing Blue Rutile under Vert Lustre today. Havent tried the layering of the 2 different manufacturers yet, that is next on my list.

Time to go finish this last glaze, and start in on some more cannisters, mugs and yarn bowls!

Margaret

Archived