New Kiln Elements

I finally broke down and ordered new elements for my small kiln from Pagagon. Kiln is a Duncan and old, bricks and structure are sound. Watched the video on Paragon site on installing new elements. Seems pretty simple. Got all my wiring connections written down so wont forget what goes where. Like an expentant parent I am pacing and wondering if I am going to be able to do this right. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they replaced elements and are there any hidden problems I should be aware of.

Thanks,

RJ

Just go one element at a time. Take it out, vacuum out the bricks, put it back in and make the connections. Pin corners as necessary. Don't forget to put the ceramic insulator back onto the pigtail before making the connection to the feeder wires. Don't trim off the pigtail ends until you are done and sure everything is connected properly. I like to put a piece of tape on each feeder wire and number them, starting at the top and working down, just in case things get confusing. There's a lot of wires in those old Duncan kilns.

I finally broke down and ordered new elements for my small kiln from Pagagon. Kiln is a Duncan and old, bricks and structure are sound. Watched the video on Paragon site on installing new elements. Seems pretty simple. Got all my wiring connections written down so wont forget what goes where. Like an expectant parent I am pacing and wondering if I am going to be able to do this right. Does anyone have any suggestions on how they replaced elements and are there any hidden problems I should be aware of.

Thanks,

RJ

Read the instructions. They contain extra details not shown in the video.

Place newspaper in the bottom of the kiln so the element doesn't contact the kiln wash.

Push the element into the back of each corner while threading the element into the grooves.

Make sure the connections are tight.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Thanks for the info guys. Everything is numbered tagged and written down. Will be sure to read the instructions BEFORE starting to install. If this goes without many problems will be doing the Big Duncan next. There isnt any Kiln wash in the bottoms but will put newspaper down just in case. I bought these kilns about 15-20 years ago so it will be interesting to see what adjustments I will have to make in my firing process.

Quick question. Are new elements made from the same material as the orginal ones or are they better material. So many things these days are new and improved.

Thanks again,

RJ

Quick question. Are new elements made from the same material as the orginal ones or are they better material. So many things these days are new and improved.

Thanks again,

RJ

The new elements are the same type, and made of the same metal, as the original elements.

Good luck with changing the elements! Please let us know how it turns out.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Thanks again,

RJ

The new elements are the same type, and made of the same metal, as the original elements.

Good luck with changing the elements! Please let us know how it turns out.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Will do, appreciate the help.

RJ

Archived