Which utilitarian forms are your favorites to make? | August 27, 2012

I was wondering if you have some favorite items in your repertoire.

I know i do, and I make them more often than other things.

There are some items that I don't like to make and thus, make them rarely.

My favorites are mugs, bowls, and spoon jars, although for show work

I make larger pieces, especially covered jars. How about you?

I have been making tile, tile murals and fountains for the last 10 years but I'm taking a break from it right now. I sketched up a bunch of designs several weeks ago and decided to coil build them, I made vases, jars, lidded jars. bowls and teapots. I found that I still like making teapots and lidded jar the best, I've got them firing as I write. Denice

I was wondering if you have some favorite items in your repertoire.

I know i do, and I make them more often than other things.

There are some items that I don't like to make and thus, make them rarely.

My favorites are mugs, bowls, and spoon jars, although for show work

I make larger pieces, especially covered jars. How about you?

Diana, The form that I seem to do most often is a bowl. I like the simplicity and the complexity of the form; base, vertical height, horizontal width - making a shape that is pleasing to the eye and functional. Some of the other shapes that I enjoy making are technically challanging; completely closed then altered forms.

Guest JBaymore

Because they are so darn challenging to actually do well, for me it is Chawan as #1. Unfortunately only about 10-20% of those that are made on the wheel ever make it to full "Chawan-ness" out of the kiln........ the standards for them are very high. But I still love tackling the problem.

Number 2 on my list is yunomi... the small handle-less day-to-day tea cups for green tea.

best,

....................john

I really enjoy making bowls also; medium size serving bowls. They begin with a small hump mold then are built up with slabs. The rims are unique-- I let the last slab dictate that. Next, I paddle for overall form then apply texture, followed by adding a foot. They are fun to make when I have a lot of glaze mixing, glazing, or other busy work because I can work on them in short bursts spread over several days (for drying times).

However my joy comes to sitting down with several leather-hard slabs ready for sculpting flowers and birds on them. The more of these tiles I do, the more ideas I have.

Archived