First bisque fire = success!

Yay Me! :) I just ran my kiln for the very first time, all by myself, and it worked. Those of you who have been doing this forever are thinking, "so what?", but I am very excited! I wasn't sure if I would be able to figure out the controls, which turned out to be ridiculously easy. We did blow the fuse, but once my husband replaced it with the correct size, we were fine.

Now I have a LOT of glazing to do.

My kiln is "new to me", too, and I was apprehensive that it wouldn't work. I didn't pay much for it. It's good to know that this feeling doesn't go away, and that I can look forward to this every time I fire. Gotta go glaze!

With every mastered skill comes something else that is strange and intriguing.

My family thinks this whole process is strange and intriguing. They stand around watching me throw, trim, load and unload the kiln as though it was a spectator sport. :)

Congratulation, Sawing. It is a big deal. :lol: My first bisque firing was a few weeks ago. It was really neat. I have had two glaze firing since.

Be sure to double check your wire size from the panel/fuse box to the kiln to insure the correct wire size if you are going to fire at a higher cone later on.

Don't need a power failure during glaze fire.

B)

• 2 months later...

I just ran into this old thread, and I was happy to hear there are other firing newbs around!!

I just got a kiln, and will be taking on my first firing in a few months. Glad to know there are others around trying to figure stuff out, it makes it a little less intimidating!

That is just great, in fact I am in the same boat as you. I recently fired my first bisque kiln and now I have done 4 bisque fires in my electric. Two weeks ago I did my first galze fire with my gas kiln to ^10 reduction and it also worked great. I had issues with the high fire, but I know what I did wrong and learned what not to do next.

Keep it up and keep us informed we can all learn together.

Since someone else resurrected this thread, I will update. I have since fired another bisque and two glaze. It's exciting and disappointing to see the successes and failures, but I learn something each time. I have actually sold a couple of pieces; spoon rests, sponge holders, yarn bowls... nothing too brilliant, but still encouraging!

On the downside, I have been working a LOT, and have not had any time at all in my studio lately. I gotta fix that.

Archived