How do you plan your work regarding the scale/size of pieces?

I usually start with mugs. They weigh one pound of clay. I can usually make 60 at a go. The next day I trim and pull handles. Third day I make bowls. Fourth day bowls are still too wet to trim so I make jars in the morning and trim in the afternoon.After I've warmed up on jars, I usually make teapots. This take two days of solid work to put all the parts together.I usually take a week to make plates and side plates.

I have a day job and so am doing this on weekends and holidays. But I always start with mugs for some reason.

TJR.:blink:

• 7 months later...

Well according to my work. I make my every day with all force I have my recycling work and I bought the junk from the customers and then weight on the spot, on very next moment. I turn over that junk to my scrape center, then next day I separate that all parts and forward to my main recycling work shop. Then they make all next proses on that its simple.

Do you make small pieces on certain days, or certain weeks, then switch

to medium or large? For example, If you are going to make larger pieces,

it requires having a lot more clay on hand, so it must take some planning, right?

How do you decide every day what to make??

I usually have a plan to do large pots, but prepare for it by throwing smaller ones first to get the muscles loosened up. Usually small stuff in morning, larger in afternoon. Rolling out slabs or other work between throwing intervals of large pieces.

This depends on my firing schedule-that means when I need to fire by to get the work out. If say its two weeks away I start with the work that needs the most time to dry-teapots or cannister sets or plates and flat stuff ,large bowls.Lately its been a glaze fire every week so I need to throw large 1st working toward small stuff-lots of small stuff.

Then I work towards the faster drying forms that need handles and more triming and end with smaller pots that dry fast like today I threw 1/2 pind bowls and trimmed them and put them in a hot kiln to bisque fire in am. Will glaze them Friday and glaze fire Sat.

This week we did a glaze fire on Tueday and will do one on Saturday-thats real fast turn around even for me.Thats a 35 foot car kiln. Big show next weekend on another planet.

As far as clay on hand I always have it as I buy once a year in large amounts.

Mark

Archived