Home made ceramic fishing lures

Heres something one can do with ceramics thats a bit different-make some homemade lure heads.

I did this a few years back as I'm a fisherman as well as a potter.

These can be made from any clay any temp but harder is better as they need to take some bumps.

These are all porcelain as thats my production ware around here. Fired to cone 10-11

but cone whatever will work.

You will need some skirt material and then rig them with leader (100 to 150 test) and hooks-these heads are for trolling for bigger fish-The whole lure will be 10-15 inches long but one can make smaller ones say for albacore fishing.The hole in center is for line-a few have holes to leave a bubble trail and the off set ones track back and forth with action to attract fish.

Never thought about marketing these as I made them for use and gifts as one of a kinds. They are functional in every way and you only need not to drop them especially if the clay body is a softer one.

One can make many things from clay and these are truly unusual items so think up some off the wall stuff and give it a try.

Mark

post-8914-134544460453_thumb.jpg

post-8914-134544460453_thumb.jpg

Guest JBaymore

Never thought about marketing these as I made them for use and gifts as one of a kinds. They are functional in every way and you only need not to drop them especially if the clay body is a softer one.

Sounds interestring enough to lure in some folks to buy them (pun intended ;) ). Seriously.

best,

.......................john

Guest JBaymore

What's next- sex toys?

There is historical precedent for this subject in clay. G-rated board... so no images :lol: .

best,

.....................john

I usually sell 10-30 at art fairs in Wisconsin. They don't sell much at all in the Chicago burbs! They're a good way to get people into the booth, especially the men who are dragged to the fairs by their wives. There's a lot of distrust amongst the old guys, since they're not what they're used to and think I'm crazy. I would say about 75% are sold as gifts.

This thread caught my eye and made me giggle (for the right reasons, Mark).

#1 giggle is because my ex once told me that fishing lures are made to catch fishermen first.

#2 giggle is because I have several pairs of fishing lure earrings.

#3 as a girl who likes to fish, I have been known to only have pretty lures in my tacklebox and what could be prettier than pottery lures!

@Neil - how awesome that a customer 'shared' his catch with you!

This thread caught my eye and made me giggle (for the right reasons, Mark).

#1 giggle is because my ex once told me that fishing lures are made to catch fishermen first.

#2 giggle is because I have several pairs of fishing lure earrings.

#3 as a girl who likes to fish, I have been known to only have pretty lures in my tacklebox and what could be prettier than pottery lures!

@Neil - how awesome that a customer 'shared' his catch with you!

Actually, that's me with the bass. I'm my best customer!

Heres something one can do with ceramics thats a bit different-make some homemade lure heads.

I did this a few years back as I'm a fisherman as well as a potter.

These can be made from any clay any temp but harder is better as they need to take some bumps.

These are all porcelain as thats my production ware around here. Fired to cone 10-11

but cone whatever will work.

You will need some skirt material and then rig them with leader (100 to 150 test) and hooks-these heads are for trolling for bigger fish-The whole lure will be 10-15 inches long but one can make smaller ones say for albacore fishing.The hole in center is for line-a few have holes to leave a bubble trail and the off set ones track back and forth with action to attract fish.

One can make many things from clay and these are truly unusual items so think up some off the wall stuff and give it a try.

Mark

Mark, I'd love to see a finished lure. Can you share a picture or a link to one?

Michael

• 6 months later...

Here's a healthy little specimen caught on one of my pink chatterbugs.

Where do you order the skirting, wire and hooks for these? I just began making ceramic lures and it looks like there are a lot of lure companies to buy the hooks, etc. direct in bulk. What supplies do you use most often?

Archived