ITC in Electric Kilns

One use I have planned for it, when I have the time and money, is a salt kiln built out of panels made of ceramic board (1 inch, 2600 degrees for hotface) backed by several inches of fiber, then ceramic board (1 inch, 1800 degrees). The hotface ceramic board would be coated with ITC.

Jim,

That will slow the erosion down... not stop it. Good choice to use board over blanket.

best,

.......john

Glad you commented, John. Now, that I hooked you with that, do you think thicker ceramic board would work for a floor? I've used kaowool years ago when I built kilns in Colorado, but have never used board. It comes it several thicknesses. I'm thinking same kind of panel mentioned above only thicker for floor directly over cinder blocks.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

Sucking me in on a free kiln design consult bit eh? ;):lol:

When doing kilns for clients I never use anything except a hard dense refractory for kiln floors. If you were amazingly careful........ it might be OK. All of the "crap" that ends up happening eventually ends up on the floor ;). If the kiln is large, you will be stepping or at the least kneeling on this surface. Over time, this really wears on it. (If you use a protective wood "loading board" that might help a bit.)

One tactic to use without increasing the thermal mass too much is to use hard thin splits for the floor surface. Another tactic is to use good kiln shelves cut to the necessary size to "laminate" onto the working floor surface.

If you use the board for the floor, remember that you are still going to want to insert a hard refractory weight bearing "pad" below where the load bearing stacking of shelf posts will go. The fiber board will break down over time there for SURE. But if you tie yourself to only one configureation with this loaction on the build... you are then "stuck".

Also I don't know what you are meaning about the thicknesses....... but don't overestimate fiber's insluation value when you plan on the wall / roof/ floor thincknesses. Fiber's big advantage is it's low thermal mass.... not its super insulating value.

best,

.......................john

Thanks, John, for the free consult!

Jim

Jim ,

what about home made cast able and some hard brick?. a stable is interesting. pick up a copy of Ruthanne Tudball's Soda Glazing book. There are some recipes in there and some good designs for cast able kilns. I have done quite a few cast able ki,ns and an arch for soda firing. It works.

Marcia

I'm especially bothered by a ceramic-metal interaction when it is used on kiln elements. Applying such coatings in a lab, under vacuum say, makes sense. But just dipping them seems to suggest "marvelous" qualities.

Yedrow,

Yup........ the weak link here is the single place that the coating is non-contiguous in the application. If the ceramic shell is not fully intact, then the place the coating is not is the place that the gases from the kiln will still reach the underlying metal ....and it will still fail right there.

And ITC does not get applied to hard brick... it does not bond.

best,

.......................john

Aha, somehow in all my perusing about ITC I'd never noticed that

it is not used for hard brick! Thanks for making that significant

point!

-Lily

Archived