tin oxide?

Iforgot

I first would say that if you look at the cost of a commercial red like Coyote glazes, they ar $179/ gallon. I think that was what I read when I followed up on a thread about copper reds that someone posted.

So mixing your own is much cheaper if you have the basic chemicals and then some special ones.Tin in iron reds is necessary as is bone ash.

they work together to create the matrix for iron red.

to answer Lily's question about molybdenum and tungsten. I used the molybdenum in crystalline glazes and I used the Tungsten in

"water color " techniques and water resist carving colored layers. the Tungsten gave me a very soft apple green.

Marcia

Hi, Marcia!

Thanks for chiming in on the interesting element :-). Your depth of knowledge is amazing... I

always feel like pottery has so many more possibilities when reading this forum. So with your

tip I was able to find that molybdenum is a 'crystal enhancer' - did you find it helpful in your

use? (coincidentally, I have a friend who is newly interested in cone 6 crystal glazes, and

this conversation dovetails with that one nicely).

Warmest regards,

Lily

The molybdenum acted as a colorant not a crystal enhancer . the piece was a wet black with electric blue crystals and ended up being purchased by the Illinois state museum.

It was a beauty! It was also fired at ^10 in 1973. I got the chemicals free from the chemistry dept. while in Grad school. And did a lot of experimentation with the colorants, firing schedules and crystal formations. it was the topic of my thesis exhibition.

Marcia

I first would say that if you look at the cost of a commercial red like Coyote glazes, they ar $179/ gallon. I think that was what I read when I followed up on a thread about copper reds that someone posted.

So mixing your own is much cheaper if you have the basic chemicals and then some special ones.Tin in iron reds is necessary as is bone ash.

they work together to create the matrix for iron red.

to answer Lily's question about molybdenum and tungsten. I used the molybdenum in crystalline glazes and I used the Tungsten in

"water color " techniques and water resist carving colored layers. the Tungsten gave me a very soft apple green.

Marcia

Hi, Marcia!

Thanks for chiming in on the interesting element :-). Your depth of knowledge is amazing... I

always feel like pottery has so many more possibilities when reading this forum. So with your

tip I was able to find that molybdenum is a 'crystal enhancer' - did you find it helpful in your

use? (coincidentally, I have a friend who is newly interested in cone 6 crystal glazes, and

this conversation dovetails with that one nicely).

Warmest regards,

Lily

The molybdenum acted as a colorant not a crystal enhancer . the piece was a wet black with electric blue crystals and ended up being purchased by the Illinois state museum.

It was a beauty! It was also fired at ^10 in 1973. I got the chemicals free from the chemistry dept. while in Grad school. And did a lot of experimentation with the colorants, firing schedules and crystal formations. it was the topic of my thesis exhibition.

Marcia

Wow, that sounds really rad. Do you happen to have a photo of

that piece? -Lily

buriied somewhere amongst 10,000 slides perhaps. I can look briefly. I am packing for seven weeks in Europe and a six week residency in Vallauris. probably will not look for it. It is in the permanent collection of the Illinois State Museum in Springfield. ..if you are in the area. I can looked for it in November. We are talking about a pot from 1970 s.

Marcia

buriied somewhere amongst 10,000 slides perhaps. I can look briefly. I am packing for seven weeks in Europe and a six week residency in Vallauris. probably will not look for it. It is in the permanent collection of the Illinois State Museum in Springfield. ..if you are in the area. I can looked for it in November. We are talking about a pot from 1970 s.

Marcia

Umm, perhaps you needn't take the time to look. Packing for 7 weeks in Europe and 6 weeks

in Vallauris sounds AMAZING! (not the packing so much as the residency, heh.) You'll have

so much to share with them, they will be so happy. How does a residency work? Will you

be making a body of work there (and leaving it)?

Maybe I will ask the museum about your piece! I can imagine that you might have a LOT

of work recorded since the 1970s. Can't imagine organizing such a large body of artwork

myself. Something one doesn't really think about when starting out...

warmly,

Lily

Marcia

Umm, perhaps you needn't take the time to look. Packing for 7 weeks in Europe and 6 weeks

in Vallauris sounds AMAZING! (not the packing so much as the residency, heh.) You'll have

so much to share with them, they will be so happy. How does a residency work? Will you

Maybe I will ask the museum about your piece! I can imagine that you might have a LOT

of work recorded since the 1970s. Can't imagine organizing such a large body of artwork

myself. Something one doesn't really think about when starting out...

warmly,

Lily

There is an exhibition after each residency. Sales are usually good and it is on the riviera in a ceramics mecca.. It is also the Ceramics Biennial while I am there. I am teaching a Masters Class over 2 weekends.

Here is some info.

http://www.air-valla...PageID=119&SID=

Marcia

Marcia

There is an exhibition after each residency. Sales are usually good and it is on the riviera in a ceramics mecca.. It is also the Ceramics Biennial while I am there. I am teaching a Masters Class over 2 weekends.

Here is some info.

http://www.air-valla...PageID=119&SID=

Marcia

Thank you for the additional info and link. Looks like a stimulating and fun

environment. Can't wait to see what you will make there!

Archived