#21 Diana Ferreira

Diana Ferreira

opinionated ignoramus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Apologies - left my glasses at the studio today, and it is difficult to read the screen :-(
Diana
www.dianaferreiraceramics.com
https://www.facebook...70824173&type=3

#22 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

Excuse me for butting in here, as my experience with slip casting is negligable. However I've made many molds and don't understand why the bowl can't be thrown on the wheel--with average bottom and thick walls. Then trim the inside of the bowl's sides until you get the depth and number of steps wanted for the finished product. As long as each step is canted enough so there's no undercuts, couldn't you then take a mold of this and use the mold for the slip casting?. I would treat the object as more of a sculpture than a bowl.

If this is implausable, my apologies--don't hurt me.

#23 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Excuse me for butting in here, as my experience with slip casting is negligable. However I've made many molds and don't understand why the bowl can't be thrown on the wheel--with average bottom and thick walls. Then trim the inside of the bowl's sides until you get the depth and number of steps wanted for the finished product. As long as each step is canted enough so there's no undercuts, couldn't you then take a mold of this and use the mold for the slip casting?. I would treat the object as more of a sculpture than a bowl.

If this is implausable, my apologies--don't hurt me.

No hurting here. It is plausible; very much so in fact. The difficulty arises when molds are wanting to be made for slip casting the vessel with an exterior that is smooth and very little mold making experience. It hurts my head just thinking about it.
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#24 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:55 AM

Idaho Potter: thanks for butting in :D... Well, it's no bad idea to throw the bowl and carve the inside step-like. I'am gathering different tips and ideas at that stage and then I'am trying the best one out. I sure will keep you all in the loop. It's a nice project!

Lucille: thanks for your answer!

Diana; I have ordered the book of Sasha Wardell. Thanks again for the link.

I appreciate you all took the time to help me. Thank you!

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

#25 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'am sorry I have to retrieve an old post, but in the meantime I've found what I was desperately looking for. WooHoo! The original article about the "ridges in relief" can be found in Richard Zakin's book "Mastering the Craft, 2nd Edition", page 92/93. It's an article (with step-by-step pictures) by Angelo diPetta "Creating a Mold-Formed Vessel".

Didn't want to keep it from you.... (see attached pdf file)

Greetings

Evelyne

Attached Files

Evelyne Schoenmann

#26 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:58 PM

Any comments on those books:

• Slipcasting (Ceramics Handbooks) - Sasha Wardell
    and
  • The Essential Guide to Mold Making & Slip Casting (A Lark Ceramics Book) - Andrew Martin
Or will those overlap?

#27 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

and
  • The Essential Guide to Mold Making & Slip Casting (A Lark Ceramics Book) - Andrew Martin
Or will those overlap?

Hi Mart, I have only the Sasha Wardell book, so I can't say if they would overlap, sorry. Maybe anybody else will answer your question. The Wardell book is really great! Greetings from Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann

#28 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

and
Or will those overlap?

Hi Mart, I have only the Sasha Wardell book, so I can't say if they would overlap, sorry. Maybe anybody else will answer your question. The Wardell book is really great! Greetings from Evelyne

Too late, I ordered both and few other books I think I need. Damn, S&H + 20% VAT makes books absurdly expensive. 58 EUR worth of books cost me 104 EUR! And this is NOT with 5 day shipping. This is 3 weeks.

#29 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

and
Or will those overlap?

Too late, I ordered both and few other books I think I need. Damn, S&H + 20% VAT makes books absurdly expensive. 58 EUR worth of books cost me 104 EUR! And this is NOT with 5 day shipping. This is 3 weeks.

Mart, I have a lot of similar ceramics books and I can learn from every one of them still a lot. I don't think that ordering both books will disappoint you when you will get them. You will be happy to have them both, you'll see, despite the high cost. Happy reading!
Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users