Electric Kiln Outside Environment?

• 3 years later...

I have two out buildings  I was considering wiring and putting one kiln in each structure. The one structure on the left sits low and has a tin roof with one completely open side next to the adjacent building. The other is Completely enclosed with an entry door and two windows. There are two vents nearer the roof and it’s a much taller structure. I live in San Antonio so it gets mighty hot. These are my two buildings. My questions are: 

1. Do I need a shroud with a motorized vent to cover over my kilns and redirect heat? 

2. Are either of the two, 12 x 12 buildings too low in height and could catch on fire? The one on the left is about 7.5 feet tall, metal roof with large sliding barn door, and one completely open side. 

3. Is the asphalt roof on the taller structure going to melt? 

What do y’all recommend?

@Weezy Fully enclosed would be best, as you don't want wind to blow rain or snow onto the kiln. As long as you have proper clearances from combustible surfaces, you're not going to set anything on fire. However a small space can get hot enough that it causes the controller to shut down, so you want to have good air flow to keep the space cooled. That may require a fan, it may be that vents are adequate, it all depends on the space.

I fire a small kiln inside a cedar greenhouse.  I have a max/min in/out thermometer, and the inside, overnight temperature is usually 1-3 degrees C higher than the outside.  When firing overnight, inside is no more than another 2 degrees C higher than normal.  Just make sure it is the recommended distance all round from combustibles, and is on a proper floor surface.

Hi :)

I have a small electric kiln (pic) in my flat, in the "second bedroom" where there is a window to my mini pottery studio (where the washing machine should go) and there, there is a window to a patio. I've been using the kiln and never had any problems but now im thinking... is this bad health-wise? :S

kiln.jpg

1 hour ago, Mai said:

Hi :)

I have a small electric kiln (pic) in my flat, in the "second bedroom" where there is a window to my mini pottery studio (where the washing machine should go) and there, there is a window to a patio. I've been using the kiln and never had any problems but now im thinking... is this bad health-wise? :S

Is the kiln vented? If not, and you don't have a fan pulling air out the window, then it's not good. At the very least you need a fan in the window pulling air out.

Get the rug out of there. You should never put your kiln an a flammable surface. Is the floor ceramic tile? if so, that's fine. If not, put two layers of cement board under the kiln, extending at least 12" beyond the kiln. Make sure the kiln is at least 12" from the walls (18" ideally).

Thank you @neilestrick

The Kiln is not vented, I just move it near the window (with all windows open) and close the door when using the kiln. I found this on how to build one: https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Downdraft-Kiln-Vent/ I'll research a bit more and ask my father for some help (he works in the construction industry).

Thank you for the advice!

PS: The rug isn't there when using the kiln and the floor is ceramic tile I forgot to mention that :) 

• 10 months later...

Hi,  I have a small Skutt electric kiln, kept outside, covered by an outdoor staircase on the north side of my Colorado home. I has appropriate power and is safe from the elements except temperatures. I did a successful bisque fire in it last week after not doing so in 17 years. I have two questions for your kind consideration . First the owners manual says not to fire the kiln if the outside temperature is below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this a hard and fast rule or is it ok to fire the kiln when the morning temperatures are in the high 30’? And secondly, the only wear I see is some discoloration on the steel covering, other then that, all seems to be in order. The cones placed inside the bisque fire, matched the electronic readings of the controller. Is there any concern I should be considering that I am not thinking of at present. Thanks ! 
Bonnie

Hi B!

Have read here that the controller+pyrometer requires a minimum temp to function.

I'd like to think that protecting the kiln from cycles of moisture would be important, however, one of the more active potters here in Los Osos has two large Skutts outside - protected from rain ok, but we have significant fog events, bein' the Pacific is within earshot.

The metal jacket is a stainless steel; depending on the vintage of your kiln, it may be less "stainless" than one might wish. Any road, watch the connecting hardware, screws, etc., for they are likely to give way long before the sheeting/jacketing.

Now that you're using it again, varmint invasion is less likely...

Likely you'll get some more responses to your post soon...

Thanks Tom.
It’s best I be cautious then and look for a day that the kiln’s internal temperature is at last 40 Fahrenheit. Just getting back into potting after so many years, I am eager to jump in with two feet. I’ll protect it more methodically from here on out. I was taken by one post that said something like “treat your electric kiln like a laptop”. I now feel negligent all these many years.  :-(  However, learning is a good thing.

12 hours ago, BMadtson said:

I have a small Skutt electric kiln, kept outside...

I believe the board in the controller in the older Skutts need to be 40F or above to work. You can warm it up with a hairdryer or a nearby space heater, once it's warmed up it should be fine. My kilns are in an unheated area, what I really watch for is moisture. Had a roof leak that dripped onto one controller that I then had to replace. 

Welcome to the forum :)

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago I visited Robin Hopper's studio near Victoria BC. Rains a lot there. He had his electric kiln near his gas kiln, under a metal roof overhang but no walls. That gave me the idea to move my electric kiln outside  into my kiln yard and it works great. Mind you I only use my electric kiln to bisque and I don't have the electronic controller so I don't have to worry about the outside temps getting too cold for the computer to work. Fired plenty of firings in sub freezing temps with no issues. Big plus is I got the electric kiln out of my studio space so I never have to deal with fumes inside. I did have a newer electric for a while that had a controller and I used it outside in the kiln yard with no problems whatsoever, though I did  not try it in super cold weather. 

• 10 months later...

Hi, I'm getting my first kiln and trying to decide on a location for it. I have a garage that I work in that has a door to a small attached patio. I was wondering if I should build a roof over the patio and keep it outside or keep it in the garage. I live in the desert. We don't get much rain at all but it can reach 110 degrees in the summer (and into the 20s/30s in the winter) I was considering getting a skutt with a digital touchpad controller. I worry that the heat/cold would be bad for this over time if I kept it outside. My garage can also get very hot as well in the summer so not sure that's much better.

If I choose to keep it in the garage do I need a ventilation system or can I simply open the door and use a fan when I fire?

19 hours ago, hidezclay said:

worry that the heat/cold would be bad for this over time if I kept it outside

The controller will have max/min "operating temps.  In the UK it's something like 5C to 50C.  Check the manual/manufacturer.

This thread started a number of years ago, and I can tell you that after that post in 2016 I made, I settled on putting my kiln in an outdoor tin garden shed on a cement patio. We ran the electrical under the patio, cable buried 4’ under as per local code. The tin shed has no door, so it’s well sheltered and doesn’t get wet at all, but not 100% enclosed. Because it’s uninsulated and very well ventilated, I don’t have issues with condensation that I was initially worried about.

My kiln is an older one though, with no digital controller. I have a friend who has issues firing her newer kiln that’s in an unheated garage when it gets too cold. So the issue is going to be more with the controller than the other parts of the kiln, and for that, you’ll have to check the manufacturer’s recommendation like Chilly mentioned.

22 hours ago, hidezclay said:

I worry that the heat/cold would be bad for this over time if I kept it outside.

Chip in the controller has a range it works in. If it's too cold you need to warm up the board with a hair dryer or space heater before you start firing.

Archived