new kiln user

Hi world,

I have never used an electric kiln before, but i think i know how to because i hve fired a gas kiln and i have read every firing guide on ceramic arts daily, but i was wondering if when you fire a cone in a kiln sitter if the cone sticks to the prongs, and if i should buy more prongs? Thank you!

Darrel

Hi world,

I have never used an electric kiln before, but i think i know how to because i hve fired a gas kiln and i have read every firing guide on ceramic arts daily, but i was wondering if when you fire a cone in a kiln sitter if the cone sticks to the prongs, and if i should buy more prongs? Thank you!

Darrel

This almost never happens. A spare set can't hurt, and they are cheap.

i was wondering if when you fire a cone in a kiln sitter if the cone sticks to the prongs, and if i should buy more prongs? Thank you!Darrel

Darrel, you should be able to remove the stuck cone from the Kiln Sitter cone supports. Pull the supports from the porcelain tube. They should slide right out of the slots. You may have to sand the supports with emery cloth to remove all traces of the cone. In the future, coat the cone supports with kiln wash. Keep a small bottle of kiln wash nearby, mixed and ready to use. A bottle with brush applicator, such as a nail polish bottle, is convenient. Do not allow the kiln wash to build up on the cone supports. You need only a thin coat. Apply more kiln wash whenever the coating starts flaking off. Allow the kiln wash to dry before placing a cone in the Kiln Sitter.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I have never put wash on my cone supports, and have never had a problem.

Neil, usually there is no problem in firing the Kiln Sitter without kiln wash. I know of a case, though, where the cone stuck to the bare cone supports. The Kiln Sitter eventually shut off . . . but only after the actuating rod fell through the melted cone. A distributor in Dallas told me about it.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

"Stuff" happens. That is why it is a good idea to be both awake and somewhat alert during firings. Even with a digital controller that gives temp readings for each thermocouple, it is good insurance to put a cone pack in front of a peep hole, for those uneasy feelings of "I wonder if everything is really OK inside my little inferno. . ."

(Belt and suspenders)

"Stuff" happens. That is why it is a good idea to be both awake and somewhat alert during firings. Even with a digital controller that gives temp readings for each thermocouple, it is good insurance to put a cone pack in front of a peep hole, for those uneasy feelings of "I wonder if everything is really OK inside my little inferno. . ."

(Belt and suspenders)

While we are on the topic of looking in peepholes, is it really necessary to wear those sun glass things that come with the kiln?

While we are on the topic of looking in peepholes, is it really necessary to wear those sun glass things that come with the kiln?

Yes. Green #3 safety glasses are designed to filter infrared and ultraviolet light. They also reduce glare so the cones are easier to see.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Archived