display units

Guest JBaymore

Depends on the type of work you are selling and the market you are selling to. What do you want to convey about your work? To whom are you selling?

best,

.........................john

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I am selling functional pottery, at juried art and craft shows in Colorado. I have some stands and tables that I have been using, but I don't like the look that I have with them.

Googling "pottery craft display booths" in the Images tab brought up lots of images, and another point to make.

Do not put every pot out at once (unless you have only a few) as the information overload will either make a potential buyers head swim, or they just look and see junk and move on to more artfully displayed works. Put some color in several places around the display to keep from looking all blue, or brown, or whatever. Make their eye move around the booth and they will be interested and stop to take a closer look.

John

Googling "pottery craft display booths" in the Images tab brought up lots of images, and another point to make.

Do not put every pot out at once (unless you have only a few) as the information overload will either make a potential buyers head swim, or they just look and see junk and move on to more artfully displayed works. Put some color in several places around the display to keep from looking all blue, or brown, or whatever. Make their eye move around the booth and they will be interested and stop to take a closer look.

John

Your "line" will determine your "look". If you do production tableware- mugs/bowls/plates- then fill the space. Think of the produce section at the supermarket. But if you are more Smithsonian/ACC oriented, then less is more. Each piece on a pedestal. Whatever you do DON'T mix styles (Majolica, wood fired, or more than two glazes. It makes the display look like the seconds shelf at the church bazaar. Someone said you only have 2 seconds to "catch their eye" as they walk the show. Make sure your hook is baited!

Heres mine at my double booth last weekend.

Mark

Mark,

Thank you so much for your response to my inquiry. The group has been very helpful to me in my search for a nice looking pottery booth display. I also sell ulitarian ware, and I believe I am going to follow on your design that you gave. I really appreciate everyone's input. It's like a whole bunch of good friends trying to help me out.

Laurie

John, Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question of pottery booth displays. You have given some good points that I would not have thought about. I will take more time to set my booth up to look more organized. I do functional tableware, so I usually just try to get everything out there that I have, and I do have several different glazes. I will set them in groups better next time, thanks to your suggestions.

Laurie

John

Your "line" will determine your "look". If you do production tableware- mugs/bowls/plates- then fill the space. Think of the produce section at the supermarket. But if you are more Smithsonian/ACC oriented, then less is more. Each piece on a pedestal. Whatever you do DON'T mix styles (Majolica, wood fired, or more than two glazes. It makes the display look like the seconds shelf at the church bazaar. Someone said you only have 2 seconds to "catch their eye" as they walk the show. Make sure your hook is baited!

The thing about my displays is they are at least my 6th generation.That is over 40 years these are my 6th set I have had made.I always make improvements and these will last as they are for me now perfect.

They fold flat and stack flat and I can add hand rubbed oil to them to freshen finish-They have non fading finish thats water borne on most of the newer ones. so the light wood will always be light

I have 4 of the 6 foot tired ones (one is in a gallery on loan as long as my pots are on them) I have the 1foot wide x 6 feet 1x 5 feet 1x 4 feet and a 1x 2 feet for various booth layouts and load whatever needed in van after a show for next show.The plywood shelves are birch with silver maple strong backs on the stepped units and birch iron on birch tape edging on the 1x whatever long birch plywood boards to dress up the edges.

I live where woodworkers excel and there is one of the best specialty lumber stores on the west coat 3 miles from me (Almquist Lumber)-we do not have a big box hardware store in these county-we are very unique for not having a anywhere USA look here.

Mark

The thing about my displays is they are at least my 6th generation.That is over 40 years these are my 6th set I have had made.I always make improvements and these will last as they are for me now perfect.

They fold flat and stack flat and I can add hand rubbed oil to them to freshen finish-They have non fading finish thats water borne on most of the newer ones. so the light wood will always be light

I have 4 of the 6 foot tired ones (one is in a gallery on loan as long as my pots are on them) I have the 1foot wide x 6 feet 1x 5 feet 1x 4 feet and a 1x 2 feet for various booth layouts and load whatever needed in van after a show for next show.The plywood shelves are birch with silver maple strong backs on the stepped units and birch iron on birch tape edging on the 1x whatever long birch plywood boards to dress up the edges.

I live where woodworkers excel and there is one of the best specialty lumber stores on the west coat 3 miles from me (Almquist Lumber)-we do not have a big box hardware store in these county-we are very unique for not having a anywhere USA look here.

Mark

Mark,

Thank you for the pictures. I couldn't really tell too much about the tiered ones though. Are they made like an "A" frame? And how deep is the bottom shelf? Do you have any close-up pictures of them?

I am having a local woodworker construct these shelves, and I kinda need some close-ups to show him.

Thank you so much for your time.

Laurie

I only have photos with pots on them at shows-there are a complex wood job as the glue ups at angles need a jig made( the tiered ones). I can e-mail you some photos as that would be easier for me than downsizing them and moving them around for this site. Please PM me your e-mail

Mark

I only have photos with pots on them at shows-there are a complex wood job as the glue ups at angles need a jig made( the tiered ones). I can e-mail you some photos as that would be easier for me than downsizing them and moving them around for this site. Please PM me your e-mail

Mark

Mark

Laurie send me your e-mail at LHP3@suddenlink.net

and I'll send some more photos to you.

Mark

Archived