Dried Out Glaze

Guest JBaymore

Let the "lump" COMPLETELY dry out before adding any water. That should allow it to re-hydrate better than something that is partiallly dry.

Better yet, let it dry completely and then break up the lump into smaller luimps before adding water. (The dust from this is hazardous....... you need a fitting HEPA filtered maks to protect yourself if you do this.)

best,

.......................john

When you are reconstituting dried out glazes or dried out underglazes add a small amount of water, only enough to soak into the glaze. As you add the water watch it soak into the glaze add a little more water but do not over do it. Do not add so much water that you can see the water above the glaze line; add it slowly and in small amounts. Close the container and give it time to slake; and then mix it well; it should be a creamy consistency. I usually wait an hour or until the next day to mix it depending upon how much I am reconstituting. After you mix you can then add a little more water if needed, to reach the consistency that you want.

• 1 month later...

Let the "lump" COMPLETELY dry out before adding any water. That should allow it to re-hydrate better than something that is partiallly dry.

Better yet, let it dry completely and then break up the lump into smaller luimps before adding water. (The dust from this is hazardous....... you need a fitting HEPA filtered maks to protect yourself if you do this.)

best,

.......................john

Thank you. I will give this a try!

Archived