43 replies to this topic

#21 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

The quality control hammer strikes again . . .

Dear All,

My pile has just started as my studio is just under a year old. So far, I have simply been putting the shards in buckets. But I have been thinking about doing some sort of random garden edging with them. Not sure how this will work out but I am thinking it would work in the some way as river rock if I do them small enough. Not sure yet?? I have both bisque and glazed shards so I am not sure what I will do with them.

Here is another idea that I encountered at a studio I worked at in Manitoba. Once a year, at Christmas usually, all the potters donated their second to a Christmas sale. Kids were given the option to shop for their parents as this sale once per year. Mugs went for $1.00 for example. Really cheap prices that the kids could afford. Often these pieces had only slight dents or chips. Nothing drastic was wrong. Given that most of the potters were students no signatures or telling information was on the pot. Thus, it was a good system. As I recall, my mark at the time was the end of a pencil--the eraser head shoved into the foot. Somewhere out there there are mugs living in peoples homes (hopefully they are still there) will this no tell tell sign of the mark of the potter:) It was a great system. The small community really looked forward to it every year. They sold tickets and the kids lined up for the event.

Nelly

Nelly;
You are aware of course that I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I don't know this studio, but I will keep my eye out for your mugs.
TJR.

Dear TJR,

It was in Brandon. The art gallery studio. I wonder if it is still there??

Nelly

#22 Nelly

Nelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

Dear All,

My pile has just started as my studio is just under a year old. So far, I have simply been putting the shards in buckets. But I have been thinking about doing some sort of random garden edging with them. Not sure how this will work out but I am thinking it would work in the some way as river rock if I do them small enough. Not sure yet?? I have both bisque and glazed shards so I am not sure what I will do with them.

Here is another idea that I encountered at a studio I worked at in Manitoba. Once a year, at Christmas usually, all the potters donated their second to a Christmas sale. Kids were given the option to shop for their parents as this sale once per year. Mugs went for $1.00 for example. Really cheap prices that the kids could afford. Often these pieces had only slight dents or chips. Nothing drastic was wrong. Given that most of the potters were students no signatures or telling information was on the pot. Thus, it was a good system. As I recall, my mark at the time was the end of a pencil--the eraser head shoved into the foot. Somewhere out there there are mugs living in peoples homes (hopefully they are still there) will this no tell tell sign of the mark of the potter:) It was a great system. The small community really looked forward to it every year. They sold tickets and the kids lined up for the event.

Nelly

Nelly;
You are aware of course that I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I don't know this studio, but I will keep my eye out for your mugs.
TJR.

Dear TJR,

Nelly

Dear All,

I forgot that another thing I have done in the past and forgive me if I have mentioned it before is to simply leave pieces where no-one expects to find them. For example, I have left vases. cups, plates etc. in the middle of a path or concrete street. Once I took some of my left over Christmas ornaments and put them under a tree in a shopping mall for anyone to pick them up. There was a busker close by at the time. I asked him to watch what happened when people made the discovery. Interestly he told me no-one picked them up. To this day I do not know where these pieces are but hope they are being used. Remember, I am not a big name potter as some of you.I am a hobbiest who has to ensure my supply does not get too overwhelming. I still use the eraser as my signature mark but also use my last name with glaze pencil from time to time. Sometimes I use a Chinese imprint piece with my name but all and all, I am not obsessed too much with my name being tarnished by the finding of these pieces. It is, in my mind, similar to the passing a long a book idea. You know, leave it for someone to ponder and discover.

Nelly

#23 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:14 PM

I use my pieces for mosaics. I am making a mosaic around the door of my art cottage!
Nancy
Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#24 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:20 PM

.............all the potters donated their second to a Christmas sale. Kids were given the option to shop for their parents as this sale once per year. Mugs went for $1.00 for example. Really cheap prices that the kids could afford.

Nice sentiment........ however in my opinion, if this is going to be done it should be done with first quality works....not seconds. Kids are the future of the world. Why teach them that second best is OK when it comes to artwork? When I do stuff with kids they get the same pieces that anyone else gets.......they just get them way cheaper.

best,

..........................john

Bingo!
When we send art materials to third world countries, we don't send our used pencil crayons, we send brand new sets.
TJR.

#25 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Dear All,

Nelly

Nelly;
TJR.

Dear TJR,

Nelly

Dear All,

I forgot that another thing I have done in the past and forgive me if I have mentioned it before is to simply leave pieces where no-one expects to find them. For example, I have left vases. cups, plates etc. in the middle of a path or concrete street. Once I took some of my left over Christmas ornaments and put them under a tree in a shopping mall for anyone to pick them up. There was a busker close by at the time. I asked him to watch what happened when people made the discovery. Interestly he told me no-one picked them up. To this day I do not know where these pieces are but hope they are being used. Remember, I am not a big name potter as some of you.I am a hobbiest who has to ensure my supply does not get too overwhelming. I still use the eraser as my signature mark but also use my last name with glaze pencil from time to time. Sometimes I use a Chinese imprint piece with my name but all and all, I am not obsessed too much with my name being tarnished by the finding of these pieces. It is, in my mind, similar to the passing a long a book idea. You know, leave it for someone to ponder and discover.

Nelly

THE NAME OF THE GALLERY IS ; THE ART GALLERY OF SOUTH WESTERN MANITOBA. IT IS A LONG WAY FROM WHERE I LIVE, BUT IS A GREAT GALLERY.
crap. Caps lock on again.
TJR

#26 spring

spring

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationOakland, Ca

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

Pretend I'm an Olympian and practice my shot put!

#27 Laurarose

Laurarose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

I use my pieces for mosaics. I am making a mosaic around the door of my art cottage!
Nancy

could you put a picture of it on here? I would love to see it.. Laurarose

#28 Surubee

Surubee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Many years ago, when I was just starting out, the method that was used to use to get rid of unwanted pottery was to toss it as far out into the nearby river as possible. I'm sure that there are many sub-standard pieces still out there, covered with silt, just waiting for some future archeologist to come along and rediscover these 'treasures'. ;)

#29 foodie ceramics

foodie ceramics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSacramento CA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

You may sell seconds, you may not, but surely you don't sell "thirds".

What do you do with the pieces that just don't make it?

Do you smash 'em, trash 'em, bash 'em or stash 'em? Whether you destroy, recycle, or hoard, we want to see pictures--email them to editorial@ceramicsmonthly.org or attach the picture here.

Looking forward to seeing your pics and responses on what you do!!!

#30 foodie ceramics

foodie ceramics

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSacramento CA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

I break my oopsies into bits. My husband and son mix cement, adding Elmer's glue to their mix. I collect aluminum pie tins or buy them for a dime each at thrift stores. We pour the cement into the pie tins and top with broken ceramic. I have about 30 stepping stones in my garden punctuated with shards of color from god knows what went wrong.

#31 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

There's an old joke about this.

A potential buyer asks a potter about the exhibited pottery: "So, do you throw all of your work?"

Potter: "Yes, and sometimes I throw them twice."

Buyer: "Twice? How is that possible?"

Potter: "All of them get thrown on the wheel. After they're fired, some of them get thrown off a cliff."

I didn't say it was a funny joke!

Shirley

#32 Erin Pfeifer

Erin Pfeifer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Our editorial staff are putting together a short article about these "thirds" for an upcoming issue of Ceramics Monthly so if you have an image, send it our way!

Email photos to: editorial@ceramicsmonthly.org

#33 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

I have decided to nip this in the bud as best as I can. I had examined some of my greenware, if it was too thick, if it was too thin, if the foot was too thick or the entire vessel was not really 'upto snuff', it has been broken for reclaiming and starting over; they have been busted up. Many of them were much too large for a test piece. I have decided it is better to do this while in the greenware state rather than after the permanency of the firing. By the way, I do this when my daughter is not around she freaks out. I was going to bust up one small vessel that just irks me and my daughter yelled, "NO!!" So I have kept it. But I still look at it from time to time with one eye closed.
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#34 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

You may sell seconds, you may not, but surely you don't sell "thirds".

What do you do with the pieces that just don't make it?

Do you smash 'em, trash 'em, bash 'em or stash 'em? Whether you destroy, recycle, or hoard, we want to see pictures--email them to editorial@ceramicsmonthly.org or attach the picture here.

Looking forward to seeing your pics and responses on what you do!!!

Over the years, I have come to realize that what I have made in the past and sold, I would consider seconds today, actually they would not even be fired. A friend of mine that has been collecting chalices of mine for over 20 years showed me his collection a while back. I was rather embarrassed by the first of these, after seeing them. It brings to mind the questions-when is something a second, when should you decide to sell, how good do you need to be to sell? Will something from your early years come back to bite you even though at the time you might have been proud to have produced it? All a matter of relativity.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#35 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think there is a difference between "seconds" and "thirds" and what might be called "subs".

To me a "second" is a perfectly good piece aesthetically that has some sort of technical imperfection that renders it non-saleable. A "third" is an instant "smash in the shard pile" piece due to significant technical or aesthetic insufficiency.

To me, a "sub" is a technically sound and OK piece that is aesthetically below my CURRENT standards. One that "should not have been born". Yeah,.... we all screw up from time to time! Subs head right to the shard pit too.

In my philosophy, eelling seconds is not a good way to make a career. Seconds are OK for commodities..... not so good for artwork

While older work may not be up to current aesthetic standards...... it was the best of the objects at the time. Looking back with the current eye... they would be "subs". But back then... they were the best of the objects made. Yeah... they can be enbarrasing when you look back at them.... but they mark the development of the artist over time.

HOPEFULLY there is an obvious progression there over the years in skill of execution as well as aesthetic merit! If not, well..... you've got some other issues to address. ;)

best,

.................john
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#36 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

.........While older work may not be up to current aesthetic standards...... it was the best of the objects at the time. Looking back with the current eye... they would be "subs". But back then... they were the best of the objects made. Yeah... they can be enbarrasing when you look back at them.... but they mark the development of the artist over time.

HOPEFULLY there is an obvious progression there over the years in skill of execution as well as aesthetic merit! If not, well..... you've got some other issues to address. Posted Image

best,

.................john

This is assuming all things remain the same. If you change the clay building techniques, and the clay body is not being used in the way your use to, and your designs have been changed then any of these factors can reveal the rudimentary skills that have yet to be developed for the new techniques.

Vessels that are being produced in new techniques are ok to keep for a while (unfired) and if the work continues in a new technique your skills will increase; you will know when you have a keeper.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#37 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,939 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

This is assuming all things remain the same. If you change the clay building techniques, and the clay body is not being used in the way your use to, and your designs have been changed then any of these factors can reveal the rudimentary skills that have yet to be developed for the new techniques.

Personally I am talking about work that "makes its way into the world" here. As in gets sold or given to people in response to Pres's thoughts. If you are making "techincal" changes to your work like you describe... hopefully your aesthetic standards have developed such that you would not decide to release any of that stuff until both aesthetic as well as technical standards are up to the previous level of your work.

To do otherwise would be a severe detriment to your career.

Work in progress on the shelves in the studio....... if it is a "sub" or a 2nd...... poof... its gone. Til it "makes the grade" commensurate with the prior bodies of work you've been doing .... it is not formally shown.

best,

...............john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#38 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Personally I am talking about work that "makes its way into the world" here. As in gets sold or given to people in response to Pres's thoughts. If you are making "techincal" changes to your work like you describe... hopefully your aesthetic standards have developed such that you would not decide to release any of that stuff until both aesthetic as well as technical standards are up to the previous level of your work.

To do otherwise would be a severe detriment to your career.

Work in progress on the shelves in the studio....... if it is a "sub" or a 2nd...... poof... its gone. Til it "makes the grade" commensurate with the prior bodies of work you've been doing .... it is not formally shown.

best,

...............john

These days, a work in progress that doesn't work out, no matter how many hours are into it, just doesn't get fired. It may sit around for a while, til I figure out what went wrong, but then it gets slopped. Hmmmm, I guess that is one of the benefits of being retired, its my time, no money involved.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#39 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

With age and longevity comes discernment. I am no longer eager to commit pieces to the fire. Now it must be exceptionally beautiful.
As a new potter I said, “Oh wow, look at what I made!!!”

As an older potter I say, “I made that?? Wait, let me try that again.”

#40 nmstoneman

nmstoneman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hey everyone I joined this site just so i could post a cpl thots on this topic! First of all I'm not a potter and have no experience with making pottery! I am a 30 yr ceramic tile /stone worker/ installer! (semi-retired)! Thats not to say I don't respect the art -- on the contrary! Its funny to see some of you or most, to say throw away the 2nd's while for the last 20 or so yrs when we break a pottery plate/bowl/cup in the kitchen if it gets thrown away I dig it out of the garbage. I rinse it of course. then it goes in a box w/ pieces of tile  some broken some not and all colors! Now if i'm not mistaken the first 2 words of this website are "ceramic and arts" correct? Not ceramic "pottery" arts! So unless you plan on changing the name anytime soon I would like to respectfully be considered as part of the group as an artist nothing more nothing less! You see the stuff you throw away I take and turn it into a different form of art! In that way it lives on as art not as driveway gravel! lol! no offense! And the best part of it is -- its FREE! I'm posting some pics of a small portion of some things I've done. I have nvr sold anything I've made but would like to start! My knees and shoulders are tired of lifting ,and crawling around on  floors ! I would love any and all comments and especially  criticisms! I am way past getting all upset if someone doesn't like it! I like it. and my friends who have received most every piece i've done, like it, and thats good enough for me! The pics with the palm trees both have a lot of pieces of a plate and a cpl of bowls that were dropped in the sink by accident! I liked the the lines in the glaze, thinking they resembled (if you use your imagination) waves in the ocean! "I'm O'clay You're O'clay" pottery lives on! Not as a salad plate, but as an ocean! How cool is that? The pics I took are too big to load here so here's a link to facebook . If interested you can view pics there. I dont want to take the time to resize and all that! Thx for reading........................Bill.

"https://www.facebook...204261985538625"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users