Threaded neck plaster mold?

Love, love, love the brass pumps. Noticed that you can order the glue-on rings for them too.

But ... wondering if someone can tell me how you use the molds? Are they used with clay or slip? And do you attach them to your greenware by scoring & slipping? Or do you fire them separately and then let the glaze hold the whole thing together.

Love, love, love the brass pumps. Noticed that you can order the glue-on rings for them too.

But ... wondering if someone can tell me how you use the molds? Are they used with clay or slip? And do you attach them to your greenware by scoring & slipping? Or do you fire them separately and then let the glaze hold the whole thing together.

You use clay with the molds, you just shove the clay into the molds, and then use your needle tool to scrape the extra off at the bottom.

As far as firing, I did both. You wait until the clay is leather hard and very very carefully UNSCREW the clay from the mold. You can fire the neck by itself, or you can attach it to your greenware. The only issue I found when I did that was that when attaching, scoring and making sure that the neck was on correctly I sometimes would make the threads move a little bit out of line, and believe me, that will mess up the whole thing, because your pump will not thread on there.

I absolutely agree that the molds make the best necks, no doubt, BUT if you don't get them on correctly the piece is history.

the 2 styles of the neck are because of the thread pattern. you need to know which of your pumps will fit and which won't.

• 1 year later...

Mark are you firing to cone 10 the one design site says the collars are for cone 10.  I fire cone 6.  Also I can't find them on Axner at all....any other suggestions.....I have done several with E-6000 and have just put 4 in a store I have to go trade out for something else because I am scared they will fail..... I hand built some extruded ones and I also foolishly glazed the rim so they have to be redone.....  My husband is going to dremmel the glaze off and reapply the E6000 do you think this will work.... I would love to do the collar mold thing if I can get it to work on cone 6 clay. 

Mark are you firing to cone 10 the one design site says the collars are for cone 10.  I fire cone 6.  Also I can't find them on Axner at all....any other suggestions.....I have done several with E-6000 and have just put 4 in a store I have to go trade out for something else because I am scared they will fail..... I hand built some extruded ones and I also foolishly glazed the rim so they have to be redone.....  My husband is going to dremmel the glaze off and reapply the E6000 do you think this will work.... I would love to do the collar mold thing if I can get it to work on cone 6 clay. 

I am firing to cone 10 but the shrinkage amount is what matters not the end cone temp.

You need to know your bodies shrinkage %.

Mark

there was an article with photos in Ceramics Monthly during the 70s.  it was written by Michael Cardew and described his method of making exactly what you want.  if you ask CM to search it out, do you think they will?????

Archived