Threaded neck plaster mold?

Are you looking to make clay threads that will thread onto the plastic soap pumps?

If so, I'm not sure that such a thing exists.

I'm not saying it couldn't be made, but due to the difference in claybodies, shrinkage rates, firing cycles, I'm not sure one could be made that would work for lots of people.

You might could make one for your own needs but the original would need to be made in a machine shop with computer controlled machines and could be cost prohibitive (depending on how many soap pumpers you make in a year).

Exactly why do you need threads on the clay?

I thought the soap pumps were two piece and you glued one fo the pieces to the clay. Isn't that how most folks do it?

they come in 2 sizes, i have both if I can remember where I put them. If you want them I can send them to you, if you will pay the postage.... I don't use them anymore, they are a bit tricky to use, i just use the regular pumps and attach with e6000.

Margaret

After 30 some years of selling pottery you hear a lot of customer feed back. I lost count of dissatisfied customers who had their glue on collars with e-6000 come off from other potters. They also have brought in lotion bottles that where not glazed inside and the soap or lotion weeps thru the body-I always glaze the insides and never glue a collar on. Take the time to attach a threaded collar-Better products make for return customers.

Mark

yes, you do need to glaze inside of the dispensers, but I can say after selling over 200 of these, i have only had 1 come back due to the glue coming undone, but this particular person was using a lotion so thick i was surprised it even came out of the dispenser in the first place.

I don't make these much anymore, there are so many really nice ones out there commercially, (I know, me bad) that I concentrate on other things, but I do have them all around my home....

if you can make the screw ons and put them on the dispenser really nicely, then yes that is the way to go. I just had a hard time doing that part for some reason.

Mudslayer

Keep in mind you only got one back but that does not represent all the failed ones of the 200 made

A few things to remember is you never know what the public will do with your work once you sell it-some may try to put peanut butter in the pumps.

The return rate on failed items is a small one at best as most do not bother tracking down the original seller or they bought at a gift shop and have no idea where it came from or whatever reason you never hear about it.

My customers always point out things with pottery they have gotten from (joe blow) that went south-or was not well made or whatever. I tend to listen and have never made pumps till I master making them right.

I buy the pumps in 1,000 lots and am now on my third batch so I have seen a few pumps go by in my day.

The glue is not a good solution when one can make a better functional pot to start with by putting threads on it. E-6000 holds better to glass or ceramic than plastic and over time will fail-thats just the way it is.

As a functional guy I want failure not to be what occurs with my products-I see it all the time in poorly made items -like pumps with corks they wear out right away-so why use corks?

Thats the same way I feel about glue on plastic .

As a potter making a living on the street having the public angry on failed pots does all of us potters a disservice overall.

I have explained why their pot/glue failed more times than I care to just like why the lotion unglazed they own is weeping.

Sorry but this point is a pet peeve with me.

If I can start someone making them RIGHT from the start its better for everyone,

Forget e-6000 and thread the tops its quick and easy and the right way to do it.

Mark

I saw Michael Cardew demostrate making threaded jars. Basically, he used a wooden tool to cut a grove on the inside of a short cylinder then cut the cylinder vertically and reattached it so that the bottom on one side was halfway up the other side. He also used a wooden tap and die set to make threaded jars but it was so long ago that I don't remember how he did it. Probably covered in his book that Marcia mentions above. The only molds I know of are the small ones mentioned above that are pretty useless unless you want to make those crappy-looking soap dispensers you see at unjuried sales. But, you could make your own molds using any size jar with a good but simple thread. The ones from Axner are made inside a slice of PVC pipe which is a great idea.

Jim

Jim

(crappy-looking soap dispensers you see at unjuried sales)

All my shows are juried ones and I sell soap dispensers at each of them???

Mark

Sorry, Mark. I've just never seen any that in my not so humble opinion don't look crappy. But then I've never seen your soap dispensers so maybe they are the exception. How 'bout a picture?

Jim

Jim

Mine are just as crappy as all the rest off them as they are functional items in the utilitarian sense-ie they are made to hold and pump fluids-not a lot of room for artsy look- They are made to work and are priced to sell.

I make pots for people to use everyday not put on the mantle

Nothing wrong with mantle pots just not what I'm doing anymore (yes in art school mantle pieces where the goal to some)

I unload a small glaze fire today and I will shoot some photos and post tonight

Mark

Jim

Mine are just as crappy as all the rest off them as they are functional items in the utilitarian sense-ie they are made to hold and pump fluids-not a lot of room for artsy look- They are made to work and are priced to sell.

I make pots for people to use everyday not put on the mantle

Nothing wrong with mantle pots just not what I'm doing anymore (yes in art school mantle pieces where the goal to some)

I unload a small glaze fire today and I will shoot some photos and post tonight

Mark

Mark,

Don't mind me. I'm just still pissed off that I didn't get into this year's Strictly Functional so I'm not my usual charming self. I'm sure some soap dispensers look great. I think I'll get on Etsy and buy one.

Jim

Jim

Sorry to hear about the show

Heres my crappy lotions-with threaded tops-You will not find them on Etsy or any of mine stuff there

These will be at The Juried Anacortes Art Festival In Wa. State in two weeks.

Mark

Jim

Sorry to hear about the show

Heres my crappy lotions-with threaded tops-You will not find them on Etsy or any of mine stuff there

These will be at The Juried Anacortes Art Festival In Wa. State in two weeks.

Mark

Nice glazing. It's the plastic pump that ruins them for me. I think I saw an ad somewhere (maybe Ceramics Monthly) for rather nice-looking brass pumps which would help some, but then they'd cost more and I'm sure you and your customers are happy with them just the way they are. Thanks for the picture. Why not Etsy?

Jim

This may be of interest in this topic as it's threaded, but very small, the thread is no bigger than 6mm or 1/4 inch. Are any of the commercially supplied moulds as small as this, if not how is the trick worked.

I dug it up (literally)a few years ago, I was digging a hole for a fence post and spotted a shiny pebble which required investigation, (anything is better than digging).

I have to assume it's a pepper pot, but I guess it could be a sand shaker, if anyone else has any info about it please shout.

post-7271-134331898063_thumb.jpg

post-7271-134331899703_thumb.jpg

This may be of interest in this topic as it's threaded, but very small, the thread is no bigger than 6mm or 1/4 inch. Are any of the commercially supplied moulds as small as this, if not how is the trick worked.

I dug it up (literally)a few years ago, I was digging a hole for a fence post and spotted a shiny pebble which required investigation, (anything is better than digging).

I have to assume it's a pepper pot, but I guess it could be a sand shaker, if anyone else has any info about it please shout.

What an interesting pot! Amazing that you didn't break it while digging. Any kind of ID on it?

Jim

http://www.onedreamdesign.com/sink/indexpumps.shtml

these are the pumps I used, here are pics of the last ones I made about a year or so ago...

and you are right, Mark, you really never know what happens to some of your pieces you sell. I am lucky tho that a majority of the customers that bought the dispensers still buy from me today, and they have asked for different dispensers, different colors, etc, and I tell them that I no longer make them, and apologize, and show them something else they may be interested in.

I don't and never did use the plastic pumps, they really do look cheap...and if I think something looks cheap, I ain;t makin it......

post-11881-134369522409_thumb.jpg

post-11881-134369523743_thumb.jpg

post-11881-134369524848_thumb.jpg

post-11881-134369522409_thumb.jpg

post-11881-134369523743_thumb.jpg

post-11881-134369524848_thumb.jpg

Archived