Baby It's Cold Outside!

Lucille;

Looks like a white Majolica glaze. At the edges where it is thinner you can see the clay body. It looks porous, so I am thinking some kind of tin glaze-Delft? The on glaze decoration is cobalt for blue and vanadium pentoxide for yellow[either that or rutile].

What do I win?

TJR

post-2283-134309721355_thumb.jpg

What do you suppose this can be? Can you tell what kind of glaze it is?

It looks like something you could dry a pair of gloves on, I remember my mom hanging gloves anywhere she could so we could go play in the snow again. There was five of us just imagine all of the gloves something you could heat up and lay the gloves on would have been very helpful. I don't have any different ideas than anyone else on the glaze. Denice

Hi there,

When I first saw this imagine, I knew I had seen it before but just couldn't remember where and when. It just came to me, it is a French hand warmer mid 17th century. The Met Museum has one in its collection.

Please don't think my memory is that good, I think I saw it on the british version of the road show.

T

I was never going to guess what it was, but now I know I'm somewhat intrigued by the apparent screw fixing hole at top right; or does it just look like a screw hole and it's really something else?

This is a very small 'vessel' in the shape of a book. It has a larger opening on one end, most likely to insert a few small lit coals. The hole on the side appears to be for hanging up the warmer.

Here is a link so that you can see more images.

http://www.metmuseum...d+warmer+&pos=1

Archived