Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Attached File  image #1.jpg   81.26KB   102 downloads

What do you suppose this can be? Can you tell what kind of glaze it is?
John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#2 BeckyH

BeckyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

It looks like a hand-warmer. It would be filled with hot water and stuck in a muff. No idea on the glaze, sorry.

#3 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:10 PM

Lucille;
Looks like a white Majolica glaze. At the edges where it is thinner you can see the clay body. It looks porous, so I am thinking some kind of tin glaze-Delft? The on glaze decoration is cobalt for blue and vanadium pentoxide for yellow[either that or rutile].
What do I win?
TJR

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,893 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

It is a beauty. I would say majolica or a bristol glaze. Possibly delftware. It could be a hand warmer or a bed warmer. Bed warmers I have seen are usually just a bottle shape with a cork in the neck.
This may be better as a hand warmer then.

Marcia

#5 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

Attached File  image #1.jpg   81.26KB   102 downloads

What do you suppose this can be? Can you tell what kind of glaze it is?

It looks like something you could dry a pair of gloves on, I remember my mom hanging gloves anywhere she could so we could go play in the snow again. There was five of us just imagine all of the gloves something you could heat up and lay the gloves on would have been very helpful. I don't have any different ideas than anyone else on the glaze. Denice

#6 trina

trina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Hi there,

When I first saw this imagine, I knew I had seen it before but just couldn't remember where and when. It just came to me, it is a French hand warmer mid 17th century. The Met Museum has one in its collection.

Please don't think my memory is that good, I think I saw it on the british version of the road show.

T

#7 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

You guys are good. Yes it is an 18th century 'British' hand warmer with a tin lead glaze. And extra credit for the location yes it is at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. Bravo Bravo!!
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#8 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I was never going to guess what it was, but now I know I'm somewhat intrigued by the apparent screw fixing hole at top right; or does it just look like a screw hole and it's really something else?

#9 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

I was never going to guess what it was, but now I know I'm somewhat intrigued by the apparent screw fixing hole at top right; or does it just look like a screw hole and it's really something else?

This is a very small 'vessel' in the shape of a book. It has a larger opening on one end, most likely to insert a few small lit coals. The hole on the side appears to be for hanging up the warmer.

Here is a link so that you can see more images.

http://www.metmuseum...d warmer &pos=1

#10 Frederik-W

Frederik-W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Locationa distant moon of Uranus

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Very interesting.
So they put hot coals inside to keep your hands warm.
Fortunately I am a gentleman - I just put my hands in my pockets to get warm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users