Spooze Peggy Heer's clay patch

Peggy Herr was an early clay art participant. She developed this recipe. She died in 2006.I add paper pulp to this.about 20% to the clay portion.

This is her recipe.

Here is the recipe for Peggys spooze if anyone would like to try it. It's

wonderful.

1/3 parts dry clay powdered....any body...preferably the one you are using

with no grog

1/3 parts heavy karo syrup

1/3 parts white distilled vinegar

A drop of hydrogen peroxide to keep it from spoiling...it will bubble for a

few minutes and then settle down. if you dont add that the sugar goes bad

and smells awful in about a day.

Marcia

Peggy Herr was an early clay art participant. She developed this recipe. She died in 2006.I add paper pulp to this.about 20% to the clay portion.

This is her recipe.

Here is the recipe for Peggys spooze if anyone would like to try it. It's

wonderful.

1/3 parts dry clay powdered....any body...preferably the one you are using

with no grog

1/3 parts heavy karo syrup

1/3 parts white distilled vinegar

A drop of hydrogen peroxide to keep it from spoiling...it will bubble for a

few minutes and then settle down. if you dont add that the sugar goes bad

and smells awful in about a day.

Marcia

• 3 years later...

I really appreciate that Peggy's recipes are still valued, although this particular post is a few years old. I need to correct some misinformation, that matters to me. Her name was/is Peggy Heer (not Herr). She died in Jan of 2000, not in 2006. She was/is my sister. If you have an opportunity you will find a great article, I assisted her in writing when she was so ill, in the Ceramics Monthly  December 1999. She got to see it, as that was a crowning achievement. Here is the recipe in full

Peggy Heer on sat 26 oct 96

Hi ...SPOOZE recipe one more time.....

1/3 dry clay body you are using
1/3 vinegar, ordinary white kitchen vin.
1/3 corn syrup, white or brown.
A drop or 2 of peroxide, out of your bathroom cabinet. This is to keep the
spooze from fermenting and giving off a real stink.
Make thin by adding more of the corn syrup or vin. Make thicker by adding
more of the dry clay body. The above rec. is only a base to start from.
I use my dried trimmings for my spooze and have a S. jar for each clay body
I use. Wash tools, brushes etc after using as the spooze will become cement
like and is not good for tools and brushes if they are left. If left with
out a good washing, soak in a cup of warm water till the spooze comes off.
Have a fun, sticky time. ;>}}}
As Always in Clay Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

It was a shock to see Peggy's name here.

She was such a huge influence in my clay life even though I never met her.

She was dying when I first saw her posts on clayart. She could barely get around her home physically, but she always made it to the keyboard so she could share everything she knew.

As her illness got worse, her determination to share got even stronger.

In my mind she was an incredible inspiration and more than made up for the little minds who hoard their precious recipes and tips.

I really appreciate that Peggy's recipes are still valued, although this particular post is a few years old. I need to correct some misinformation, that matters to me. Her name was/is Peggy Heer (not Herr). She died in Jan of 2000, not in 2006. She was/is my sister. If you have an opportunity you will find a great article, I assisted her in writing when she was so ill, in the Ceramics Monthly  December 1999. She got to see it, as that was a crowning achievement. Here is the recipe in full

Peggy Heer on sat 26 oct 96

Hi ...SPOOZE recipe one more time.....

1/3 dry clay body you are using

1/3 vinegar, ordinary white kitchen vin.

1/3 corn syrup, white or brown.

A drop or 2 of peroxide, out of your bathroom cabinet. This is to keep the

spooze from fermenting and giving off a real stink.

Make thin by adding more of the corn syrup or vin. Make thicker by adding

more of the dry clay body. The above rec. is only a base to start from.

I use my dried trimmings for my spooze and have a S. jar for each clay body

I use. Wash tools, brushes etc after using as the spooze will become cement

like and is not good for tools and brushes if they are left. If left with

out a good washing, soak in a cup of warm water till the spooze comes off.

Have a fun, sticky time. ;>}}}

As Always in Clay Peggy

Ok I will go find that copy in my archives from Dec.1999. I want to know more. Thanks for the update Peggy

I am starting to go through my library to downsize for my next move. I shipped a 1/2 ton of books down here and I am not shipping them back to Montana. I know I have that issue, i think. I did give the 70s, and 80s away before moving. Some of the 90s too. I will look for it. She contributed quite a lot to Clayart in the 90s.

Marcia

I am starting to go through my library to downsize for my next move. I shipped a 1/2 ton of books down here and I am not shipping them back to Montana. I know I have that issue, i think. I did give the 70s, and 80s away before moving. Some of the 90s too. I will look for it. She contributed quite a lot to Clayart in the 90s.

Marcia

I have never moved  since 1973 when I bought this place so downsizing for me will be when I'm cremated . My wife will have to deal with more than she wants to that I am sure of. I sold the old camera gear-she only has near 50 years of ceramic stuff and 6 tons of diving shipwreck brass from portholes to propellers. a few boats which are willed to my friends in the living trust(they do not know about this)

The whole acre still has some open space but most of the stuff is real heavy-the ceramics monthlys go back to 74 if I recall.The books are a lot as well but compared to the ceramic stuff its a drop in the bucket.

I think the pot shop and glaze materials will be the biggest pain in neck for her.

Its part of the whole package with me. Downsizing may be when I move into the rest home eating gerber  baby food from a spoon.

I cannot dream of a place better suited climate wise for our lives. Never to hot never to cold. The only place I have liked as well as here was New Zealand and they do not want any more potters my age.

Archived