#21 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

As far as giving a receipt -about 1/3  or less of square users want one so I have some small reciept books at the ready. I have my logo and name printed on them.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#22 Up in Smoke Pottery

Up in Smoke Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

I think its our 4th or 5th year using square. 1st year was lots of questions form purchasers and other artists, but most people know what it is now. There is the $1000 limit payout limit, but that can be raised with communications so I'm told. The additional funds are transferred into the bank account in successive days in $1000 installments. I do written receipts, more for my record keeping than anything else, although the option is available to track all transactions on square.

I agree with Mark, definitely less than a 1/3 select a text or email receipt.

This year I trying to decide if I should add the inventory to square to speed up the transactions, has anyone done this? We already type in the identifying number for each piece to match the transaction reconciliation easier.

We have heard of some issues with the old square readers, but we always had a spare or two on hand.

Chad

Chad

Up in Smoke Pottery

upinsmokepottery.com

#23 DirtRoads

DirtRoads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationEdinburg, MS

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

We put a picture with each item and label them in by type and size.  With type being first.  Example:  Bowl - Medium $40.   It lists alphabetically so that way you go right to the bowls, platters, etc.  Touch it and you are done.

This is very fast.  Equivalent to bar code scanning.   We never type anything except a phone number for receipt.  This past week I noted written receipts. Way less than 1/3.  Only person that asked for one was around 65 years old.

Can't thank the forum posters enough for sharing this information.   I was aware of the Square but seeing it here reinforced it was a good business discussion.  Original post by Mark C was back in July of 2012.  This totally stuck in the back of my mind and last fall when contract was up I switched.  Wanted to bring topic back up to benefit others as it has benefited me.

#24 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

( Original post by Mark C was back in July of 2012.)

That was the month after I got a smart phone

I still use my wireless Veraphone at 3 shows but most shows its the square for me. This is also one of the lowest fees there is in this credit card taking world.

I have a I-pad mini but do not use it as my sales table is very small and always full of customers pots. I hold the phone so they do not drop it and use a rubber tipped stylus for signing. They like that as most make them use there finger tip to sign.

You can get a 6 pack of stylus for under 6$ on Amazon.

​With all this talk on cell phone visa credits I have found as with any capture device when everyone is using them it can overwhelm the infrastructure. I have been at two shows when around 11-12 noon when peak use in sales made the whole system take forever to work.

This happened a few weeks ago as well. So if you are in a limited cell access area this can be a deal breaker. Usually the phone after swiping the card takes a 5-15 minute break to finish the transaction. This is why I like another form of capture that not everyone is using.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users