#61 phill

phill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Locationmn

Posted 13 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Phill ... We had a long discussion a while ago here about whether or not anyone can give or take an online critique. The Internet loses facial expression and tone of voice so it seems a whole lot easier to take offense or take the whole thing personally.

I think that the world is ever depending on the internet, and soon perhaps all we will have for critique could be the internet. Wouldn't it be wise to toughen up so that one might be able to keep up with today's standards and daily operations?

I would also argue that the more critiques you receive, the more you will be able to weed out the bad ones and keep the golden nuggets. Practice makes perfect.

The value of an educated critique should be appreciated as a valuable tool. I want someone who can look at my work with an educated eye and tell me their opinion of where it is. I appreciate it so much when someone I respect takes the time out of their day to look, report and make me think.
But ... that said ... the most important thing for me is that phrase "educated eye" ... I have to respect their work and their eye.

I agree with you somewhat on this. However, if we live by this standard, then we may be hard pressed to find this ideal candidate. Additionally, it doesn't help the beginning potters have a crack at critiquing more mature work, which I believe is beneficial to the general pottery public. Also, it seems that we would unfortunately weed out a lot of folks with very diverse backgrounds that could potentially speak good truth into our work. 

What do you think?

#62 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Did anyone ever act on the idea of seeing if CAD would create a forum titled 'critiques' that was suggested last year?

That sure seemed like a good idea and isolates the effort from the rest of the forum so if its goes badly it could be discontinued otherwise it becomes a valuable resource for those that want to be give and receive opinions. At least when someone post some photo's of their work in that forum they are explicitly asking for opinions of their work and they should pretty much be accepting what's offered in the spirit intended.

Maybe pin some guidelines such as the expected shots to upload and ask folks that both are asking for or giving input clearly state their background so when it matters to the other party they know. An assigned moderator could then make sure the whole thing stays civil.

It seems like it would also be of use to new potters to see the work offered for review and to read the various opinions of the work. 

#63 Kohaku

Kohaku

Huffing cobalt over a Raku kiln

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Idaho

Posted 14 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Did anyone ever act on the idea of seeing if CAD would create a forum titled 'critiques' that was suggested last year?

That sure seemed like a good idea and isolates the effort from the rest of the forum so if its goes badly it could be discontinued otherwise it becomes a valuable resource for those that want to be give and receive opinions. At least when someone post some photo's of their work in that forum they are explicitly asking for opinions of their work and they should pretty much be accepting what's offered in the spirit intended.

Maybe pin some guidelines such as the expected shots to upload and ask folks that both are asking for or giving input clearly state their background so when it matters to the other party they know. An assigned moderator could then make sure the whole thing stays civil.

It seems like it would also be of use to new potters to see the work offered for review and to read the various opinions of the work. 

I always thought that this seemed like a great idea... but there definitely seemed to be a tidal wave of opinion against it.

To be fair, I've found that people have been very willing to give candid, useful critique to me if I post and image and explicity ask for comments.

Not all who wander are lost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users