What's In A Name?

Guess the name of this glaze? It says it.

Unfortunately I don't have the recipe. I am still researching it. It is not in any of my glaze books. But I couldn't wait to show it. It is amazing.

post-2283-134171217943_thumb.jpg

Mark beat me to it, it looks just like the tobacco chew that cowboys and farmers spit around here. Denice

I really thought it was called tobacco spit as well. Where would I have heard this? Aren't there some alkaline glazes in North Carolina that look like this-as in Jug Town? I guess I am more familiar with tobacco spit than I am with rattlesnakes. What does that say about me? I don't even smoke!

TJR.

You have to see that stuff around? Yuck!

Well no the glaze isn't called 'Tobacco Spit'.

How's the Spittoon business doing? Sounds like there maybe a market. I am serious about this. And they will need them in every room for sure.

Lucille;

Correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying to create a series of spittoons -one for each room in your home, and glaze them all with the fabulous tobacco spit glaze? Would they not be difficult to clean, since you couldn't tell where the tobacco ended and the spittoon began?

TJR.

Okay, this glaze is called "Rattlesnake" glaze, 'it is a wood ash and Iron concretions', (I had to look this word up) composition but no chemical analysis is known to have been done according to my reference sources.

I'll stick to plates bowls and mugs. I think the spitoon business it to narrow of a market to succeed-I'll let others have it

Since I do not spit or chew or smoke or drink my experience with this was in art school when Clayton Bailey did a workshop-(1970s)

In your research did you find a high fire version of this glaze?

We do not have any rattlesnakes this close to coast . How many snakes does a 2 gallon batch take to make up?

Mark

Okay, this glaze is called "Rattlesnake" glaze, 'it is a wood ash and Iron concretions', (I had to look this word up) composition but no chemical analysis is known to have been done according to my reference sources.

I'll stick to plates bowls and mugs. I think the spitoon business it to narrow of a market to succeed-I'll let others have it

Since I do not spit or chew or smoke or drink my experience with this was in art school when Clayton Bailey did a workshop-(1970s)

In your research did you find a high fire version of this glaze?

We do not have any rattlesnakes this close to coast . How many snakes does a 2 gallon batch take to make up?

Mark

Mark, it just desribes the look of the glaze there are no rattlesnakes in the glaze, and no venom either.

Archived