electric kiln

Guest JBaymore

Centered,

There are a lot of threads on electric kiln installations on the forums lately (both in the studio and technical, I think). If you are in need of quick info, maybe spend a little time looking around at them. The exact topic of the posting is not always tightly tied to the actual content of the threads....since conversations naturally wander on and off topic and the discussions evolve. So don't just look for specific titles to that "is a wood floor OK" kind of thing.

Many people give graciously of their time in answering postings... and sometimes it is difficult for them to find the time to re-post something that they said not all that long ago.

I am sure that some folks will eventually give you some suggestions when they get a chance in this thread.

best,

.......................john

most of the kiln manufactures web sites have all that kind of information on their web sites. What kind of kiln is it?

For instance I just googled how to set up Skutt kiln

And found this where it tells you distance from walls etc

http://www.skutt.com...s/KilnSetup.php

After reading the instructions from Skutt, you could put a sheet of metal under the kiln or buy some large ceramic tiles to place under the kiln. Hope this helps. Enjoy!

I would not use metal - it transfers the heat very well.

I had mine in an old shed on a wooden floor, and we put hardyboard (SP?) under it, with a 2" concrete pad under each leg to get it a bit further off the floor. I also had some MDF under that for levelling. When I took it apart a couple of weeks ago, the MDF appeared to possibly have some heat marking. So I don't really think hardyboard is enough.

If you can't pour a concrete base (which is what I'm doing with my new setup), I would put a minimum of 2" concrete pavers under it. Personal opinion, not a professional recommendation!

But I just re-read you're putting in electric - mine is gas, so it does have more exposed heat on the bottom. I'm still putting concrete under my new electric kiln, though!

Alice

You can use hardy board but really that is not enough-on top of that put some chimney bricks ,solid layer in a pad formation (low temperature fire bricks) they are cheap and can be had at most real lumber stores--They are not stamped with a name (stamped ones are real high temp firebricks and that would be overkill for this use) on top of that put one brick under each leg so that the floor sits off this pad more-that should do it.

You can also put hardy board as walls around it back about 8 inches.-Leave air space around the Hardy on both sides.

Make sure there are no non-combustibles nearby.

Mark

John is correct. We did reply to a post about setting up an electric kiln before. My studio had five electric kilns sitting on metal stands on a hardwood floor. Twenty-six years without an incident. A simple solution is to sit your kiln on cinder blocks-enough to make a solid platform one brick high. Keep the kiln 3 feet from any walls.

Good-luck!

TJR

I will be setting up an electric kiln in a shed. Does it need to have a cement floor? The sheds I have been looking at have wooden floors. What could be done to make it fire safe.

I suggest building a shed with a concrete floor. When I was a teenager, I designed and built a portable 8' x 12' room in my parents' backyard. Since it was portable it didn't need a building permit, and I could eventually sell it. But for a kiln room, I recommend a concrete floor.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

John is correct. We did reply to a post about setting up an electric kiln before. My studio had five electric kilns sitting on metal stands on a hardwood floor. Twenty-six years without an incident. A simple solution is to sit your kiln on cinder blocks-enough to make a solid platform one brick high. Keep the kiln 3 feet from any walls.

Good-luck!

TJR

While this worked for you, it is not recommended that kilns be placed on wood floors. In fact most manufacturers say not to. There is too much risk of the wood igniting over time. Most kiln manufacturers also do not recommend putting your kiln directly on cinder blocks, either. It will void the warranty in most cases. Plus it is very difficult to get the floor to sit level, which will cause the floor to crack. Always use the stand provided with the kiln.

These kiln safety topics remind of a Law and Order SVU episode, were a young an upcoming ceramic artist was murdered in her studio loft, which contained two large indoor gas kilns right there in her studio. Now that's safety

Good-luck!

TJR

While this worked for you, it is not recommended that kilns be placed on wood floors. In fact most manufacturers say not to. There is too much risk of the wood igniting over time. Most kiln manufacturers also do not recommend putting your kiln directly on cinder blocks, either. It will void the warranty in most cases. Plus it is very difficult to get the floor to sit level, which will cause the floor to crack. Always use the stand provided with the kiln.

Hi, Neil,

Out of curiosity, is there any other issue with the cinder bocks other than the floor cracking?

Isn't there a metal sheet that is under the firebrick that helps smooth out the cinderblocks?

Thanks for any information!

and Hello, TJR :-)

Thanks for posting your experience also! It's always interesting to know what has

worked for others under what circumstances.

-Lily

Hi, Neil,

Out of curiosity, is there any other issue with the cinder bocks other than the floor cracking?

Isn't there a metal sheet that is under the firebrick that helps smooth out the cinderblocks?

Thanks for any information!

-Lily

Most newer kilns do not have a metal sheet under the floor. On those that do, the metal sheet is not strong enough to keep the floor from flexing. Over time, that metal rusts out and becomes a real mess. Cracking is the only issue I'm aware of when using cinder block.

Guest JBaymore

These kiln safety topics remind of a Law and Order SVU episode, were a young an upcoming ceramic artist was murdered in her studio loft, which contained two large indoor gas kilns right there in her studio. Now that's safety

If they were installed correctly,.... there is NO reason that this is not perfectly OK. The key idea is "installed correctly". That takes a lot of knowledge to do.

best,

....................john

If they were installed correctly,.... there is NO reason that this is not perfectly OK. The key idea is "installed correctly". That takes a lot of knowledge to do.

best,

....................john

Law and Order: SVU Season 10, episode 18 – Baggage.

You be the judge. :P

P.S. You seem to know an awful lot about this, where were you on the night she was murdered?

Good-luck!

TJR

All of our kilns were on the regulation metal stands that came with the kilns. I was not recommending having a kiln on a wooden floor, I was just relating the fact that our studio floor was a hardwood floor in a warehouse. I have now left that studio and have my kiln sitting on it's regulation stand on a concrete floor.

TJR.

All of our kilns were on the regulation metal stands that came with the kilns. I was not recommending having a kiln on a wooden floor, I was just relating the fact that our studio floor was a hardwood floor in a warehouse. I have now left that studio and have my kiln sitting on it's regulation stand on a concrete floor.

TJR.

Those "regulation metal stands" were designed to provide a comfortable spot for the studio cat.cool.gif

Guest JBaymore

Law and Order: Season 10, episode 18 – Baggage.

You be the judge. :P

P.S. You seem to know an awful lot about this, where were you on the night she was murdered?

I'm not saying anything else without my lawyer. ;)

Archived