Question from new kiln owner

I have been potting about 6 years through my local Art Center. Recently 2 friends and I purchased an electric kiln and have fired several times with good results. I just found out that the last bisque batch was fired with a cone 6 in the sitter instead of an 04 cone. We had Laguna B-3, Flint Hills 5/6 Buff and F.H. 5/6 Porcelain inside. It was a graduated (low, med, high, 2 hours at a time for 6 hours) firing. Everything looked like it usually does, except the B-3 was a little lighter brown than normal. My question is, what, if anything will happen to the pieces when we do the glaze firing to cone 6? Will the B-3 go back to that great dark brown? Should we expect the glazes to run more? Will everything explode???? Your help may keep us from ruining all this work. thanks!! Oh, and we now keep the cone boxes separated, and put on our glasses when needed!

Thanks again, Jen

I don't think the clay color is coming back ... Sounds like it got burned out.

Your glazes will be harder to apply and it will be more difficult to control how much you are putting on. One trick is to put the pots in a warm oven then apply the glaze to the warm pots so it dries quickly. People also thicken the glaze with gums but I don't know how, so I will leave it to others to explain that. Leave a good unglazed border at the bottom of your pots ... Not sure if they will move more or not.

Don't feel too bad about it though ... You will find a lot of people will have solutions because most of us have done the same thing at some point. B)

Archived