historical design:consider this one

This is from 6th century BCE on the island of Delos. I realize this is suppose to be a topical discussion of contemporary ceramics, but I think reflecting on the past can develop a healthy knowledge for aesthetics. Marcia

post-1954-134099002434_thumb.jpg

First thing that comes to my mind..... I like this setup wub.gif more than anything that Weber® offers... hands down!

This is from 6th century BCE on the island of Delos. I realize this is suppose to be a topical discussion of contemporary ceramics, but I think reflecting on the past can develop a healthy knowledge for aesthetics. Marcia

First thing that comes to my mind..... I like this setup wub.gif more than anything that Weber® offers... hands down!

Rick,

I think you make a good analogy. It does seem to have all the things needed for a great cooking stove. I remember a number of years ago many people were busy buying those outdoor fire pits for the backyard. I forget the name of this store. A chimonea or something like that. It seemed like every backyard had one. I can't imagine the weight in hauling one of these home for a contained fire but many people did. To me, this is one great set-up done for cooking in a time past. I wonder if it was actually used for the purpose it appears to be intended for or if it was similar to this backyard fire chimonea that everyone purchased a while back. Interesting piece.

Nelly

A very interesting piece I would have liked to have seen it 'in situ'. It has an efficient use of fire.

I had no idea this forum was just for 'contemporary ceramics'. I didn't pay attention to the sub-heading. Didn't mean to over step the bounds.

So very interesting! Do you have more info and bigger pics of the stove?

Jim

Rick,

I think you make a good analogy. It does seem to have all the things needed for a great cooking stove. I remember a number of years ago many people were busy buying those outdoor fire pits for the backyard. I forget the name of this store. A chimonea or something like that. It seemed like every backyard had one. I can't imagine the weight in hauling one of these home for a contained fire but many people did. To me, this is one great set-up done for cooking in a time past. I wonder if it was actually used for the purpose it appears to be intended for or if it was similar to this backyard fire chimonea that everyone purchased a while back. Interesting piece.

Nelly

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I remember years back when those chimonea seemed to be the 'pet rock' item of the backyard.... and I laugh again as it now seems that little quirk has now made its way to Sweden as I'm beginning to see them more frequently around and in stores.

My only hope is that that grill contraption was indeed used for the intended purpose as it seems so diverse in its cooking range and ability to do so much at once, full meal (4 course) cooking . More so than that chimonea which never seemed to be much more than an open fireplace on the deck.... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif for those that still had room on the deck after setting up their hot tub / jacuzzi.

So very interesting! Do you have more info and bigger pics of the stove?

Jim

I thought posting here had to be 48 k or less.

Marcia

I thought posting here had to be 48 k or less.

Marcia

Judging from some of the 'full wall size high definition' (at least 10x bigger than my laptop monitor) pics that some post, I'm led to believe otherwise....biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

One of the best things about ancient utilitarian pieces is they can be read. This vessel looks like a water carrier. Why? It is large with a rounded bottom to be carried on the head. It has texture to help grip and a narrowing spout for pouring. I love it!

Please, keep offering up What Is It (s) and other discussion pieces. The latest by Chris is fabulous, and I want one of those thingys that Marcia posted. No more having to run between patio and kitchen to check for boilovers or burnt offerings--I could do it all in the same place!

I don't spend much time Googling for pottery, so miss out on a lot of good stuff. Lucille has kept me interested (even if sometimes confused) with her offerings. And the discussions from all of you more versed than I have me searching for other examples.

Please, please, please, my education is not complete and I need all the help I can get. Keep 'em coming!

Shirley

Thanks for the insight Lucille ... All the cards were in German, a language I can't even fake read!

We stumbled on this museum one afternoon and it had one whole floor of ancient pottery from digs across Eastern Europe. I will post more images as it is quite amazing to note some of the forms look very contemporary.

Archived