Discussion of experiences with the forum operating software

Guest JBaymore

Guest JBaymore

That dreaded deadly spinning color wheel only appears for me when I forget to make the image smaller ... Small 'save for the web' images load very quickly.

Right on, Chris.

For web postings like this 1024 x 768 by 72 dpi is plenty. That means small file sizes and fast uploading and downloading.

If you send to CM or PMI for publication use....... huge files and high dpis are the order of the day. Not for this kind of stuff.

best,

..............johbn

Mark,

I have been having this problem for a while. Do you get the "Oops!" message and then tells you to go back, copy, but signs you out?

I am on a Macbook Pro and an iPad.

Marcia

Marcia Thats it !!! I get it all the time-thanks for clearing stating this.This is EXACTLY my issue.

Mark

I personally have never had that particular problem.

However, I have had a continuing problem, and only occurring with this particular website. It would happen while viewing Gallery postings. Every time I would click on a Gallery picture to open the link, Safari would immediately open another TAB displaying the previous last non-CERAMIC ARTS COMMUNITY website I had viewed, every time, regardless of how many GALLERY pictures I viewed, picture after picture. But it only ever happened while I was on this particular website.

That was on my MacBook using OS X-10.6 (Snow Leopard). Last week I finally upgraded to the almost year old OS X -10.7 (Lion) and have noticed that previous problem doesn't occur anymore.

Which operating system are you using Mark & Marcia?

Maybe, as was in my situation, there is a code conflict within this website and with certain OS X software.... not being a code geek/guru, don't know... just a rambling thought.

I personally have never had that particular problem.

However, I have had a continuing problem, and only occurring with this particular website. It would happen while viewing Gallery postings. Every time I would click on a Gallery picture to open the link, Safari would immediately open another TAB displaying the previous last non-CERAMIC ARTS COMMUNITY website I had viewed, every time, regardless of how many GALLERY pictures I viewed, picture after picture. But it only ever happened while I was on this particular website.

That was on my MacBook using OS X-10.6 (Snow Leopard). Last week I finally upgraded to the almost year old OS X -10.7 (Lion) and have noticed that previous problem doesn't occur anymore.

Which operating system are you using Mark & Marcia?

Maybe, as was in my situation, there is a code conflict within this website and with certain OS X software.... not being a code geek/guru, don't know... just a rambling thought.

I am using OS X -10.7.4

Marcia

Guest JBaymore

Atr the moment it is seeming like all of the major "glitches" are coming from Apple/Mac folks.... not the PC crowd.

Anyone using PCs / Windows experiencing similar issues?

best,

........................john

Has anyone on a Mac with problems at least tried a different browser than Safari, just to help narrow down the problem.

I have Google Chrome on my 3-yr-old MacBook, I will try using it for a few days to see if it works better than 3-yr-old Safari. Like Mark, I have so many bookmarks saved in Safari, I don't plan to use Chrome full-time, but maybe it can be the solution for other people. I'll report back in a few days.

The reason I have Chrome is because I have one other website that doesn't work with Safari ... BigCartel ... this is the store/cart I'm using for my online store. This website has all kinds of slick and interactive features, and it doesn't work with Safari. Other than that, Safari works for me for everything else.

Mea

Guest JBaymore

Really John!!

Looking for PC / Windows users on an artists site? :D:D

OK... fessing up........ I'm a PC. It's the tech-weenie side of me I guess. B) Windows 7 Professional 64bit and IE 9.

best,

Has anyone on a Mac with problems at least tried a different browser than Safari, just to help narrow down the problem.

I have Google Chrome on my 3-yr-old MacBook, I will try using it for a few days to see if it works better than 3-yr-old Safari. Like Mark, I have so many bookmarks saved in Safari, I don't plan to use Chrome full-time, but maybe it can be the solution for other people. I'll report back in a few days.

The reason I have Chrome is because I have one other website that doesn't work with Safari ... BigCartel ... this is the store/cart I'm using for my online store. This website has all kinds of slick and interactive features, and it doesn't work with Safari. Other than that, Safari works for me for everything else.

Mea

I'm glad you're checking it out, the curiosity was killing me.

If worse comes to worst, exporting and importing bookmarks only takes a minute, other than the reorganizing part.

Really John!!

Looking for PC / Windows users on an artists site? :D :D

OK... fessing up........ I'm a PC. It's the tech-weenie side of me I guess. B) Windows 7 Professional 64bit and IE 9.

best,

C:\User>cd..

C:\>dir /w

:P

My laptop is 10.5.7

my I mac is 10.5.8

I have lion to load into the laptop-but cannot on the I mac

My i phone is two weeks old so thats current lion-not yet been here with it.

Now as far as PC in the last 20 years of computer use have avoided any PCs-Had to use few in classes and learned early on to avoid windows.My studio windows do need cleaning if that counts.

The thing about macs is they just work (except here) My guess is this whole platform is a solid PC build with PCs for PCs-

I'm with Chris John about this.

artist = macs

Mark

Heres what my last post did for you software folks to see what I'm talking about.

The roof is 3 to 4 feet above-but the kiln is so well insulated on top there is hardly any heat on top-The lid is 9 inches of fiber with another 2-3 inches then a metal lid on top-This is warm only to the touch when at cone 10.<div><br></div><div>Thinking weather anyone even builds kiln anymore-seems like many just buy electric and fire to c 6 these days.The knowledge and work of that may be a bygone era.</div><div>Kiln building is WORK and many now days do not want to learn those skills</div><div>The article may just  have to be historical in nature.</div><div>Mark</div>

Guest JBaymore
My guess is this whole platform is a solid PC build with PCs for PCs-

I'm with Chris John about this.

artist = macs

That is kinda' where my head is going with this. I don't know for sure by any means....... but ACERS (the parent of CAD) was based from the engineering side of ceramics... so it is certainly possible that the PC dominated (or dominates) in the "home office" corporate culture.... except of course for the CM / PMI publishing side of things. So maybe that "focus" crept into the website design side.

Hopefully with some time and investigation, we can get this all smothed out sio that there are issues for 99.999999% of the users.

best,

.........................john

Guest JBaymore

Really John!!

Looking for PC / Windows users on an artists site? :D:D

best,

C:\User>cd..

C:\>dir /w

:P

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey, John, I'm still in a PC world, but still working in Vista. My other life was bookkeeping, and Apple Products never tried to motivate software gurus to offer much in the way of accounting software. Macs have always been focused on artARTART which is great for artists who don't have to use their computers for other things--like earning a living bookkeeping. Now that I no longer have to keep books on my computer for someone else, just plain can't afford to move over to the good life under the Apple tree. Sigh . . .

best . . .

Shirley

Mea

I'm glad you're checking it out, the curiosity was killing me.

If worse comes to worst, exporting and importing bookmarks only takes a minute, other than the reorganizing part.

Sorry it took me so long to report back about this. It turns out that using Google Chrome, instead of Safari, with my older MacBook does indeed solve all of the issues I was having with this website.

Using Chrome I was also able to vote for my favorite Orioles on the Major League All-Star Ballot, which I was unable to do with Safari.

So for those of you with older Macs, it looks like the glitches are all related to Safari. Darn.

Mea

Archived