Discussion of experiences with the forum operating software

Guest JBaymore

Guest JBaymore

This quote below is the original posting done by Mark C that was in the "In the Studio" section as a part of another topical discussion:

After losing a lot of typing as this program logs you out in about 2 seconds-my patience is being tested again as it almost always is on this site due to poor software.

Am I the only one who thinks this program needs upgrading??

As a frequent poster I hope the powers that be get this fixed,as I am tired of doing it all in word and pasting-I post a lot on other boards with none of these issues a anywhere else but here-come on guys and gals fix this.

Rant over

Mark,

I am curious as to what you are talking about here. I never have had the thing you are talking about happen! I can leave the message editor screen open a LONG time.... and it does not "log me out".

I'll send your issue to the web admins and see what they think is happening. Sorry about the issues.

best,

....................john

I tried to PM you John but you are not taking PMs<div>So heres my deal</div><div><br></div><div><div>Chris Campbell also has had some issues.</div><div>I'm logged in and typing away and try to post-bingo a screen comes up that you can save typing with all sorts of stuff you have to edit out after logging in a royal pain.</div><div>

It looks like this post I took randomly from clayart with all the computer stuff that needs removing as post is unreadable.</div><div><br></div><div>Its a software issue-Chris said compose longer posts in word then paste which I have done  a lot of but really the software should handle a long typing post.

</div><div><br></div><div>Hey There Gang !=A0 =0A=0AWell the wiring of my new studio is finally getti=</div><div>ng started.=A0 My biggest question is what gauge of wire should I have the =</div><div>electrician use to go from the breaker box at the house to the first breake=</div><div>r box in the slightly larger than a two car garage sized studio 64 feet awa=</div><div>y.=A0 Then to the=A0 dedicated to the kiln breaker box 39 feet away .=A0 it=</div><div>won't be a straight line it will have a left hand turn from one wall to an=</div><div>other.=A0=A0 We are having a partial metal shed type building that will be =</div><div>attached to the back of the new studio that will be a kiln shed.=A0 We are =</div><div>cutting a door in the back wall of the=A0 studio=A0 for indoor access so I =</div><div>can roll my ware carts through to the kilns.=A0=A0 I will be putting in a b=</div><div>reaker box just for the kilns but I'm not sure where to put it yet so any a=</div><div>dvice would be very welcome.=A0 I'm not sure if we should put the box on th=</div><div>e studio side of the door or on the kiln shed side.=A0 The wiring will be b=</div><div>uried=A0 from the house to the</div><div>stu</div></div>

Turns out it did it during this post John so heres what it looks like.

Mark

Guest JBaymore

I tried to PM you John but you are not taking PMs<div>So heres my deal</div><div><br></div><div><div>Chris Campbell also has had some issues.</div><div>I'm logged in and typing away and try to post-bingo a screen comes up that you can save typing with all sorts of stuff you have to edit out after logging in a royal pain.</div><div>

It looks like this post I took randomly from clayart with all the computer stuff that needs removing as post is unreadable.</div><div><br></div><div>Its a software issue-Chris said compose longer posts in word then paste which I have done  a lot of but really the software should handle a long typing post.

</div><div><br></div><div>Hey There Gang !=A0 =0A=0AWell the wiring of my new studio is finally getti=</div><div>ng started.=A0 My biggest question is what gauge of wire should I have the =</div><div>electrician use to go from the breaker box at the house to the first breake=</div><div>r box in the slightly larger than a two car garage sized studio 64 feet awa=</div><div>y.=A0 Then to the=A0 dedicated to the kiln breaker box 39 feet away .=A0 it=</div><div>won't be a straight line it will have a left hand turn from one wall to an=</div><div>other.=A0=A0 We are having a partial metal shed type building that will be =</div><div>attached to the back of the new studio that will be a kiln shed.=A0 We are =</div><div>cutting a door in the back wall of the=A0 studio=A0 for indoor access so I =</div><div>can roll my ware carts through to the kilns.=A0=A0 I will be putting in a b=</div><div>reaker box just for the kilns but I'm not sure where to put it yet so any a=</div><div>dvice would be very welcome.=A0 I'm not sure if we should put the box on th=</div><div>e studio side of the door or on the kiln shed side.=A0 The wiring will be b=</div><div>uried=A0 from the house to the</div><div>stu</div></div>

Turns out it did it during this post John so heres what it looks like.

Mark

Mark,

Sorry...... My PMs are on.... but I just discovered that my mailbox is full.

I have sent a note to the admins.

What operating system are you using and what service pack / version, what browser and service pack / version? What kind of connection are you using..... dialup , DSL, cable, etc?

best,

......................john

• Administrators

Marc ... I may have misunderstood your problem. I thought your wrist problem was causing you to spend so long writing that the system eventually timed out .... Not within minutes. I sometimes spend 20 minutes on a post and have never had any issues.

Mark - I too have never experienced this problem. And I am confused about the Clayart reference above. Can you please clarify? Also, it would probably be helpful to know what browser you are using. We will look into this. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

All best,

Jennifer Harnetty

editor, ceramicartsdaily.org

Marc ... I may have misunderstood your problem. I thought your wrist problem was causing you to spend so long writing that the system eventually timed out .... Not within minutes. I sometimes spend 20 minutes on a post and have never had any issues.

Mark - I too have never experienced this problem. And I am confused about the Clayart reference above. Can you please clarify? Also, it would probably be helpful to know what browser you are using. We will look into this. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

All best,

Jennifer Harnetty

editor, ceramicartsdaily.org

I used the clay art example to show the other stuff besides the letters that shows up when you have to use this software when I timed out-Then while posting this example I timed out? and the whole post did this

I'm on a Mac using safari system 10.5.8- ether on a macbook pro or I-mac

The upper right hand says sign out so I'm signed in and when I go to post the text it makes me copy it use the back button to log in and this is what I have to re edit out of the text to make it readable-Its always been this way on this site-Its not just me-maybe window users do not have this issue-I'm all Mac maybe its a mac issue with windows software?

Mark

Marc - I sometimes have problems with the Word program when I try to use it between systems ... I use a Mac 10.6 but am on Firefox ... I will try to copy and paste from Word right here and see what happens.

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000002086 StartFragment:0000001902 EndFragment:0000002050 This is an attempt to transfer a Word document to the PC Forum.

This is an attempt to copy a Pages document to the PC Forum.

I think it is the Word program that is not co-operating ... at least with the typing part. Try to use Pages if you have it.

Mark,

I have the exact same issues when I am posting from my 3-year old MacBook OSX 10.5.7, using Safari 4.0.1.

But I don't have any of these problems when I use my 6-month old iPad.

So mostly I have solved my problem by using the iPad. But I do recall some time ago Marcia was reporting similar issues, and she solved them by "clearing cookies" from her browser. I don't remember which browser or what kind of computer she was using.

So I'm typing this from my old MacBook now, after just having "cleared the cookies" from my browser. Here's how:

From the Safari menu, choose Preferences

In the Preferences pane, click the Security tab

Under cookies, you must choose to accept cookies, either "always" or "only from sites I visit" (I think if you click "never" the CAD site won't keep you logged in.)

Click "show cookies"

Click "remove all"

Click "done"

So I'm about to hit the "add reply" button, and if this goes through without kicking me out of my login, that means it worked.

Mea

Mea

I cleaned out my cookies on laptop this am

I'm going to miss them for breakfast -I had to settle on a bowl of cereal instead.

Lets see if this helps-if so I'll be tossing more cookies from my I mac as well.

I could use my I phone but really like the real keyboard-as I have big fingers.

I'll wait a few minutes to see if I get logged out

Mark

I did get the go back log in button but after going back one I was able to post without logging back in -not fixed but better

Mark

So now it's about an hour since I wrote my last post. I came back to the CAD site and found I had been logged out again. So it's the same here ... problem is better but not totally fixed. At least it looks like I can write one or two posts without getting logged out.

The newer web browsers must have better ways to handle cookies. Sad how a 3-year-old computer is considered ancient!

Mea

Guest JBaymore

Hum...... I've never tried to stay logged in for something like an hour (unattended and not doing things on the forums) and then expect it to still be connected. Or that anything I was typing into a message would still be there waiting for my next action.

I have to assume that the forum operating software at some point is programmed to automatically log you out. If not, then people not logging out (by leaving the site) will start tieing up a lot of potential bandwidth on the server. But I could be wrong on that..... not a server guru by any means.

best,

........................john

Safari is not considered a very good web browser, and there are versions of Google Chrome and Firefox that are compatible with OS X.

So if they will work on your computer use one of them, their cookies are fresher with no preservatives. You will be much happier.

*update*

Oh no, I haven't looked up Safari reviews in a long time, I see that it does have a good review on cnet. I'm guessing I used some early version of it and never bothered to look back.

I'm sorry Safari for doubting you.

Safari is not considered a very good web browser, and there are versions of Google Chrome and Firefox that are compatible with OS X.

So if they will work on your computer use one of them, their cookies are fresher with no preservatives. You will be much happier.

I have firefox and explorer and can download chrome but I'm not changing my bookmarks for this one site-I have had zero issues with Safari

I'm a mod on some other sites and Safari also has zero issues there as well. Its just this site-

I'm not drinking the safari is bad coolaid with some many years behind me with non issues on some much Moderation work

Its more that this software has issues-I've showed this site to others who agree its the dough here thats gone bad-

Mark

I have firefox and explorer and can download chrome but I'm not changing my bookmarks for this one site-I have had zero issues with Safari

I'm a mod on some other sites and Safari also has zero issues there as well. Its just this site-

I'm not drinking the safari is bad coolaid with some many years behind me with non issues on some much Moderation work

Its more that this software has issues-I've showed this site to others who agree its the dough here thats gone bad-

Mark

I agree that Safari users shouldn't have a problem in the first place, but who knows when the problem will be fixed. In the meantime, if using an alternate browser for this website is a solution for Mac users, I think it's a good one.

All of the tech media people I listen to consider Chrome to be the best and the fastest, Firefox still pretty good.

Oh no, I haven't looked up Safari reviews in a long time, I see that it does have a good review on cnet. I'm guessing I used some early version of it and never bothered to look back.

I'm sorry Safari for doubting you.

Also updated my original post

HI there, Huston we have a problem....

So my thing is this: I have had loads of problems trying to down load photos in the gallery the little dial would spin and then WHAMO logged off and timed out. Then after about 30 attemps it loads them into my personal gallery but not into the main members gallery (this makes me sad bacause it means that others can't tell me how wondeful I am hahahha! If people did actually comment in the gallery but I digress). I really don't know enough about it ie computers to know whether this is the kinda glitch you are addressing here but that has been my experience. T

So my thing is this: I have had loads of problems trying to down load photos in the gallery the little dial would spin and then WHAMO logged off and timed out. Then after about 30 attemps it loads them into my personal gallery but not into the main members gallery (this makes me sad bacause it means that others can't tell me how wondeful I am hahahha! If people did actually comment in the gallery but I digress). I really don't know enough about it ie computers to know whether this is the kinda glitch you are addressing here but that has been my experience. T

I would also try a smaller file size.

As far as not showing up in the members gallery, I noticed if you try to upload images directly to the members gallery, by clicking new image while inside the members gallery, it won't show up inside.

Go to your own gallery, by clicking the drop down menu with your profile name on the upper right, then select my gallery. Upload an image in an album there, it will then show up properly in the members gallery also.

I would also try a smaller file size.

As far as not showing up in the members gallery, I noticed if you try to upload images directly to the members gallery, by clicking new image while inside the members gallery, it won't show up inside.

Go to your own gallery, by clicking the drop down menu with your profile name on the upper right, then select my gallery. Upload an image in an album there, it will then show up properly in the members gallery also.

Thanks will give it a try... T

Archived