Salt kiln building

Guest JBaymore

Do potters carry insurance for liabiity issues above and beyond regular business liability?

The smart ones do. B);)

It is not all that expensive, in general. That is because the incidence of actual losses is low.... which tells you something. And is good. But of YOU are the person getting sued on the rare occurance....... even if you WIN (because of legal defense costs) you will lose far more than the premiums cost. It is pretty cheap peace of mind.

Many better craft fairs require this kind of insurance for booth-holders. You can sometimes get really short trem policies for "premises liability" for a booth as a single event coverage. Usually costs from about $50 - $100.

best,

..............john

(See the new thread on business insurance in the Potters Council section too.)

EDIT: Oops... do you mean an umbrella general liability policy???????

John its called

Personal liability umbrella policy-this covers my property better at studio sales (19 years worth but no more) also my boating stuff

I also have a straight Business liability policy for my Business at shows and also it has a small fire insurance for shop

as my home owners does not cover studio for fire.

Mark

Thought I would write up a article on this later for CM so heres a preview with much left out.

We made a gas salt kiln here about 12 years ago-we fire it for fun ( not production work) about once a year with a group of potters.

My best friend is an expert wielder (Petter Brant) so he did the wields with my buzz box

I stated this kiln in collage art program-poured the slab and got a 199 credit for that -I later graduated that year(1976) and within 1o-15 years put the 100 feet of 2 inch gas line out to slab. Thought about a well drafting roof for about 25 years and knew what I wanted-we build this low sloped wing shape with non rustable materials put a stainless steel chimney on it with a stainless rain gutter.

We group fire this yearly as a social treat especial for newbies to salt.

I really like salt in the 70's at art school and always wanted my own-this was the 1st salt kiln in Humboldt County since the school one was closed down by the fire dept in the really 70s at our last firing with it.This kiln has some innovative material uses.

Mark

where are you in humboldt? i'm in so hum- and would love to see your kiln!

Do potters carry insurance for liabiity issues above and beyond regular business liability?

The smart ones do. B);)

It is not all that expensive, in general. That is because the incidence of actual losses is low.... which tells you something. And is good. But of YOU are the person getting sued on the rare occurance....... even if you WIN (because of legal defense costs) you will lose far more than the premiums cost. It is pretty cheap peace of mind.

Many better craft fairs require this kind of insurance for booth-holders. You can sometimes get really short trem policies for "premises liability" for a booth as a single event coverage. Usually costs from about $50 - $100.

best,

..............john

(See the new thread on business insurance in the Potters Council section too.)

EDIT: Oops... do you mean an umbrella general liability policy???????

Hi, John,

Ok, point taken about being smart and carrying insurance :-). It seems hard to

figure out what type of insurance one might need. I don't know the names of the

types of insurance which makes me more confused too.

For my office at work (which I rent), I have liability (person trips in my bathroom and hits their head and

sues me) and property ( theft, water damage, fire, but not earthquake). I used to

carry something called an umbrella policy, and my understanding of that was that

would cover me in case someone decided they wanted to sue me as a person to

get more money than my other insurance covered (added on to the above, and also if

I help out a stranger in some circumstance but they sue me instead (not likely)).

Is premises liability that you mention the same as property liability? Or both?

Then I was also advised that if my business assets primarily consist of debt, that you

could reasonably skip carrying the liability, which would otherwise only tempt

people to sue you. (there's definitely truth to that in my work, lawyers search

for those with deep pockets and pull them in)

I know people who worry about if someone who's invited onto their premises to

observe, purchase (open studios), or use their studio (rental, as a student, or for

a group firing), sues them... that must be general liability but I bet having a

wood kiln changes it. Do you think these circumstances are reasonable to

insure against as a hobbyist?

And if you don't mind saying, who is it that you obtain your insurance from?

warm regards,

Lily

• 1 year later...

This is an older thread but there is some new interest in salt so I,m putting it back on the page.

The kiln I,m working on right now is all soft brick so the coating is all that will stop the salt attack on bricks

To further add issues the wall thickness is 2 1/2 inches with fiber layer on outside

This kiln will have a short but sweet life

I.ll try to get some real time photos.

Mark

Archived