weeble

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationOregon Coast

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

Posted Image
These tiles were done with on white clay, then bisqued to cone 05. I then sponged on some terra sigillata with mason stain in it (the three with green background and the top maple leaf tile)or iron oxide, then I gently buffed the terra sig. and sponged off the excess oxide so it popped the design. You can see I went back and added more color (blue against the green first layer) to the hydrangea flowers. You could add more color to the leaves in the same way, its easy to do and comes out very watercolor like. I finished these by firing to cone 5 in an electric kiln.
Maryjane Carlson

Whistling Fish Pottery

#22 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

can you make your own glazes at the school? if so, check out the post i did today under Green going grey. it is a great glaze over handmade underglazes. i wish i knew how to post pictures, they came out great.
"putting you down does not raise me up."

#23 Bobg

Bobg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Locationsoutheastern WA

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

I make bowls with leaves in them. I first put the leaf in while still wet then put cobalt oxide on right over the top of the leaf. Bisque fire then put iron oxide on the leaf and wipe if off leaving quite a bit of iron oxide on the leaf. Let this dry and then clear glaze it. The iron oxide shows all the detail of the leaves.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users