3 replies to this topic

#1 JeanB

JeanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hi. Can anyone advise why a red terracotta clay would develop a dark line as it dries. These marks do not fire out. I have used the same clay and never had this problem but one of my students who works at home is having this issue. If this was fabric and not clay, I would describe it as a dirty water stain with a dark edge. As I don't see what the student is doing at home, I cannot put my finger on the problem, but having questioned her, she does not seem to be doing anything wrong. Any comments much appreciated.

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,497 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Could be from the water she is using. Any chance she's on well water, or has hard water?
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#3 Lucille Oka

Lucille Oka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:58 AM

Did you pug the clay or is it from the supplier? Does the discoloration only appear after the clay is fired? Can you provide a photo?

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

#4 JeanB

JeanB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the responses - I somehow didn't pick them up at the time.. battling with this site.Posted Image
I think I found the answer to my ugly black mark problem on htp://www.claymonk.com/blog/2011/01/getting-rid-of-the-jet-black-area/
There are pictures of the undesirable black as well as the more desirable effect. It appears it is the proximity of the fuel to the work but I also think it was the type of fuel I used. Someone brought me loads of bark strips and I think they are giving that shiny black gum look. So will try again without them when our weather here cools down. Too dangerous now for fires. Pit and pots all ready. Cant wait!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users