Photo

marketing strategies, do you do incentives?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Red Rocks

Red Rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSedona, AZ

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

Just to add to the discussion about proper pricing and incentives for buying multiples ....

I have a new item this year, a simple tumbler. At my first show I priced it at $24 each, and only sold one. At my show last weekend, I priced it at $22 each, or 2 for $40, and sold out of them. Most people bought them in pairs or quads. This shows how much difference it makes when you are just a few dollars away from the correct price. And that it might take a few shows before you figure out that correct price.

Also, I had discussed in another thread (I forget which one) about pricing for my dinner plates. The price had been inching up over the years but I found last year at $35 each the sales had really dropped off. This year I reduced the price to $30 each (I have a more efficient way to produce/fire them, so a price cut made sense anyways), and I'm selling them like crazy again.

Mea

Hi Mea:

Can you tell us some more on your comments about discovering more efficient ways to produce and fire dinner plates? This really caught my attention as dinnerware will be a big part of our production. I am thinking about using the high alumina/cone 11 place setters that allow you to fire up to six plates stacked on a single shelf. Have you ever used these?

Thanks

#22 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 809 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

Yes my solution was to buy new plate setters. They are smaller and shorter than my old plate setters, so now a stack of plates takes up a lot less space in my kiln. The new setters are better suited for my square and rectangle plates (my old plate setters were a better fit for round plates). I got them from Bailey Pottery:

http://www.baileypot...ure/setters.htm

Mea
Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#23 Red Rocks

Red Rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSedona, AZ

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, Mea. I just finished reading an old thread on Clay Art where there was a very spirited discussion on plate setters. In the end, it appears that the consensus was they make a great deal of sense. In fact, John Baymore had a couple of great posts on the subject that would really be worth reposting here if he is so inclined.

I plan to buy both the round and square Cone 11 setters and so far, Bailey looks like the best place to get them - even though they are all the way on the other side of the country. If any one knows a supplier of the type of plate setters like Bailey sells on the west coast, I would really appreciate the name(s).

Thanks

#24 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

I live on the west coast and I know of nowhere these are sold like Baileys sells-as they say they have them custom made. I have had heavier larger items shipped by Jim Bailey-electric slab roller for one.
I assume you are using them in electric kilns?
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#25 Red Rocks

Red Rocks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSedona, AZ

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I live on the west coast and I know of nowhere these are sold like Baileys sells-as they say they have them custom made. I have had heavier larger items shipped by Jim Bailey-electric slab roller for one.
I assume you are using them in electric kilns?
Mark

Hi MarK:

These will be for Cone 10 reduction in a gas kiln. Have you used the Bailey place setters?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users