Spoonrests or Top Ramen

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can add that they sell just as well in the pacific Nothwest as in Az/Nv or Denver-I do not have a clue about the east or south.

The days of cup and saucers and fine china are dead out west -that was two generations ago here

My guess its still going on in England and parts of Europe

I know these spoon rests are in Canada-Alaska-Europe and Africa and Japan and China as my customers told me thats where they were going.

Mark

Thanks Mark, I has ben meaning to give it a try and in between making some bowls, I chopped up a bag a clay and followed your directions.  I use small Masonite bats, but should have about the same result.  I will see how they al turn out once they are leather hard.  Things are drying very slowly around here lately.

Next time I will make a video and share.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

beautiful spoonrests, mark, i had not seen this thread before and enjoyed it all.

for the folks in the UK i think the english language is preventing you from knowing that we are not using the spoons at the table for a wet spoon, they are put on the top of the kitchen stove, (range, aga, whatever you call your cooker over there) to hold the large spoons that are used when making food.  we have large, flat surfaces between burners and have to clean them. putting a soup or stew cooking spoon down on that surface means cleaning it up later.  spoon rests can just be dropped into a dishwasher so some people have more than one.

Mark is Sooooo right. Make spoon rests then make more spoon rests and when you are done make some more. They will sell sell sell. I am small potatoes compared to Mark but every show I do spoon rests are about 1/3 of my income. They are so easy to make I use different texture patterns on mine as well as glazes. I go crazy with the glazes and try all kinds of combinations and the weirdest ones sell first. Go figure

I also make 3 different sizes. A mini dish for next to the morning coffee cup and it fits a teaspoon. I have started pairing these with my mugs and hand made spoons (just started trying spoons). A small spoon rest for the table so the serving spoon doesn't sink to the bottom of the bowl and since its smaller it fits a serving spoon but doesn't take up as much table space then the large which is meant to sit on or near the stove. At one point I was going to stop the small spoon rests but at the end of the year when I added it up they were as popular as the mini and the large so decided to keep offering them for another year.

It's amazing something so simple and easy to make can make such a difference to the bottom line.

T

My spoon rests are similar in shape to yours. I throw them off the hump from recycled clay. I don't make as many at a time as you do. i make them in three sizes, and there is enough decoration on them that I can't sell them for $5. They are $16, $18, and $20. So they are not as much of a quick, cheap little thing, but nevertheless, they do sell very well. They would be a good practice item for students whether throwing off the hump or not, and something very salable for people testing their wings for selling their work.

beautiful spoonrests, mark, i had not seen this thread before and enjoyed it all.

for the folks in the UK i think the english language is preventing you from knowing that we are not using the spoons at the table for a wet spoon, they are put on the top of the kitchen stove, (range, aga, whatever you call your cooker over there) to hold the large spoons that are used when making food.  we have large, flat surfaces between burners and have to clean them. putting a soup or stew cooking spoon down on that surface means cleaning it up later.  spoon rests can just be dropped into a dishwasher so some people have more than one.

I think most people in the UK either use a small side plate or any kind of plate to rest their spoons on. That or nobody cooks any more :(

The uncouth people like me and my dad are more a balance at a 45 degree angle on the side of the pan, leave the spoon in the pan or put it straight down on the work surface. It takes two seconds to wipe :D

My mum has a purpose built plastic spoon rest that over the years has become this weird half melted mess.

You can throw 50 in 45 minutes. 

Mark

:P I would call that making production.

$250/hour clay output  .... very good.   Excellent post.    I make a spoon rest too .. little bigger and shaped differently.  Sell it for $8. 

What some people may not realize, you are not standing around racking up $5 sales.  Pretty sure a lot of sales are in multiples and they add on the other items like the sponge holder.

Would you post a picture of the sponge holder?   I wanted to group a spoon rest, utensil holder and a sponge holder for Christmas gift sales. 

(thanks for posting this)

You can throw 50 in 45 minutes. 

Mark

Well, you can. :lol: Me? I'm doing great if I can finish one piece in 50 minutes! :wacko: But, I do want to thank you, Mark, for the inspiration of the spoon rests. I pushed my own boundaries yesterday and threw 6 in a little over an hour! Yay me! :lol:

Archived