Starting young

I don't suspect this is really a valid topic. It's more of a grandpa practicing the art of doting. This is my granddaughters first time on a wheel. It took three bricks to get her feet to the right level. Two for the left and one under the pedal. I posted a picture of her first bowls in my gallery. She is nine. She gave the bowls to her teacher on the last day of school. She didn't think her teacher would mind the slight s crack in the bottom. She's good and a fast learner. It took me a long time to make what I wanted on a wheel, while she was able to do it her first attempt. When her pot looked sort of like a volcano she stopped and said "That's what I wanted to make. A volcano." The volcanos are still drying so they won't explode like one when I fire them. I think of them more as low gravity candelabras. We ended up with two volcanos, Two large bowls and two smaller bowls. The picture in my gallery are the large and small of it. I think she did pretty good for her first try. Pardon my doting. Ain't clay fun!

post-6967-13392142394_thumb.jpg

post-6967-13392142394_thumb.jpg

I don't suspect this is really a valid topic. It's more of a grandpa practicing the art of doting. This is my granddaughters first time on a wheel. It took three bricks to get her feet to the right level. Two for the left and one under the pedal. I posted a picture of her first bowls in my gallery. She is nine. She gave the bowls to her teacher on the last day of school. She didn't think her teacher would mind the slight s crack in the bottom. She's good and a fast learner. It took me a long time to make what I wanted on a wheel, while she was able to do it her first attempt. When her pot looked sort of like a volcano she stopped and said "That's what I wanted to make. A volcano." The volcanos are still drying so they won't explode like one when I fire them. I think of them more as low gravity candelabras. We ended up with two volcanos, Two large bowls and two smaller bowls. The picture in my gallery are the large and small of it. I think she did pretty good for her first try. Pardon my doting. Ain't clay fun!

Cute picture. Good Job Grampa. When I first got my own wheels 11 years ago, I was so excited to teach my kids. They sat at the wheel and I could see right away that their little arms couldn't reach the wheel head. I promised them this summer I would teach them to throw.

I don't suspect this is really a valid topic. It's more of a grandpa practicing the art of doting. This is my granddaughters first time on a wheel. It took three bricks to get her feet to the right level. Two for the left and one under the pedal. I posted a picture of her first bowls in my gallery. She is nine.

It is always exciting to see children lost in artistic expression. I saw that at a NAEA show in Minneapolis in, I believe, 2003. Next to Paragon's booth was a nine or ten-year-old girl making bowls on a potter's wheel. Teachers were intrigued, because she made the wheel look easy. That was the smartest demonstration I have seen at a trade show.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I will be teaching my grandchildren the wheel this summer, along with HTML to build web pages ... They are three anxious girls.

Archived