Potters wheel comparisons

I have a question on topic about the Stuart wheels, thinking about ordering a Legend...what's the SSX Drive System Upgrade all about?

Is this a valuable upgrade?

It's supposed to be smoother, and folks who have it love it. That said, I've got 11 of the standard models, and I don't feel any need for the SSX drive. But if you've got the money then go for it.

I prefer the built in splash pan. It makes the wheel heavier and more solid, and it's just as easy to clean out, plus I rarely clean mine to the point of it being shiny. I just scoop out the chunks and keep on throwing.

I have a question on topic about the Stuart wheels, thinking about ordering a Legend...what's the SSX Drive System Upgrade all about?

Is this a valuable upgrade?

It's supposed to be smoother, and folks who have it love it. That said, I've got 11 of the standard models, and I don't feel any need for the SSX drive. But if you've got the money then go for it.

I prefer the built in splash pan. It makes the wheel heavier and more solid, and it's just as easy to clean out, plus I rarely clean mine to the point of it being shiny. I just scoop out the chunks and keep on throwing.

Yeah I was curious, does the non-removable pan have a drainage hole of some sort?

I tend to like removing the pan since my sludge buckets are a ways away from the throwing area and it's easier on my back in lieu of bending over and cleaning out the pan.

Removing the head constantly makes me wonder about the hardware holding up, though I haven't read any bad reviews on this.

Also thinking about the motor size vs cost. (I have an older Brent C and a Pacific GT400) 

I'll never throw anything large than 25 pounds if ever at all. Mostly production items, large slump mold platters.

I'm just not strong enough to center more than maybe half a bag at best...

No drainage hole on the built in pan. Just sponge it out.

No worries about the head attachment. Just be sure to keep it lubed with anti-seize lubricant, which you can get from the auto parts store. You'll be fine with the 1/3hp model. Plenty of power to center 1/2 a bag, but it's not much more for the 1/2hp......

Guest JBaymore

Watch the old ring-cone Shimpos. For older ones you can't get parts anymore.  I threw one out at the metal recycle place 2 years ago.

If the wheel was improperly stored with the drive engaged for a long while... the cone sat on the ring in one spot... and there will be a "thump....thump" when the compressed spot spins around.  Depending on how long and the storage conditions... this thump may never go away.  And the rings and cones are the some of the parts that can't be found.

best,

..................john

Guest JBaymore

I miss the days when Studio Potter Magazine would do impartial equipment reviews.  It was a service to the field.

best,

...................john

• 1 year later...

Well, I sold my old Brent and Pacifica wheels last fall to eager students, but I still haven't got a new wheel...

I didn't want to buy equipment and leave it out all winter in the weather, at least until I got a roof on the joint.

That's finally done!

I missed a few good deals on wheels I saw on Craigslist due to my day job taking up all my free time.

Thought about the Soldner but the shipping is a deal breaker, so if I don't find a good used wheel, I'm about ready to order a TS Legend without the SSX drive.

Free shipping but now I find out they are 3-4 weeks on backorder from the factory! Who'da thunk pottery wheels are so in demand...

The new lid...it's like I own my own gas station ;) >>>

IMG_9155-X2.jpg

SSX drive-same thing that Scotty on Star Trek used to warp time with right????

Maybe its a abreviation for loosening your wallet weight

Sounds good to I was throwing the other day with my SSX drive -until the cop wrote me a ticket for doing excessive RPM

On 6/7/2012 at 1:49 PM, neilestrick said:

I tend to adjust wheel speed by the hum of the wheel as much as anything else. Never realized that until I threw on a Whisper. Drove me nuts!

Glad I am not the only one with this problem.  Funny how much we use the senses.  I have similar issues with video-conferencing.  

Well folks, I bit the bullet. It was either wait 'til something comes up on Craigslist, or wait 2-4 weeks for a new wheel.

In the end, instead of paying close to $1500 for a TS wheel with all the bells, I settled on the 1/3rd HP Skutt Legend.

I'm sure it'll do the job.

On 4/2/2018 at 9:09 PM, oldlady said:

what a spectacular setting, rex!  how do you get anything done with the whole world in your lap?  your roof looks great.

On the spectacular setting, yeas it seemed like a good idea at the time. It has it's moments. The ones when all is quiet and the temp is just 'so'.

Otherwise there's the barking dogs, braying donkeys, and whinnying horses within close proximity, not to mention raucous offroaders and every other kind of distraction.

But it can be nice.

IMG_8589-XL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I got a Pacifica when the getting was good. Vintage 2004; thrown around 25,000 pots on it over the last 7 years since going full-time. During college years it was used but not as much now. Does everything I want to including 4-6' 100-150# pots. Bought a Bailey with the two piece oversized splash pan a couple years back. Worst splash pan design. Both wheels have responsive pedals, comfortable noise levels, power, and durability. Wished I spent an extra $600 and bought a CXC though. 

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone - useful thread thanks so much. Part of a studio but looking to get my own wheel now. Potter of 5 years.. increasing throwing at the moment.

Anyone used a Rhode wheel? I've heard a couple of good ratings but nothing specific. Cheaper or similar price point to a CXC. Wondering if anyone has exp or both?

Thanks potters!

Hi everyone - useful thread thanks so much. Part of a studio but looking to get my own wheel now. Potter of 5 years.. increasing throwing at the moment.

Anyone used a Rhode wheel? I've heard a couple of good ratings but nothing specific. Cheaper or similar price point to a CXC. Wondering if anyone has exp or both?

Thanks potters!

On 5/30/2020 at 9:21 PM, Mark C. said:

I'm on the wrong side of the pond so I never have seen one.

Ah, thanks anyway!  I've heard good feedback but I can't find detailed specs to compare.  

I think I'm going to go for a Brent C, the 10 year warranty and stories of them lasting for years,  are telling me that it's likely to be the most reliable

Archived