Are you sometimes torn between throwing and handbuilding? | June 5, 2012

Are you sometimes torn between throwing and handbuilding?

How do you solve this issue? I love them both and move

between them, alternating--a month or so doing one, and then

I switch to the other. Sometimes they mesh!

Diana Pancioli

Potters Council Board Member

dianamp@comcast.net

dianapancioli.com

hi Diana,

I wouldn't call it torn between. it is a matter of...what is needed down the road...are there shows or orders required? I hand build and throw. my recent work has been porcelain carving.

I am planning a new series of slab pieces when I get back from the Potters Council tour of Tuscany. I am really being inspired by all we are seeing. So I guess my answer is more how do I respond to inspirational experiences and what way is best to express it.

marcia

Hello Deidre.

I see that you have a problem, doing both is part of your creativity. I like to do both in fact sometimes I incorporate hand building with a thrown piece and I am trying something new for me, throwing a foot and adding it to a fairly large & flat handbuilt bowl.....sometimes I do both at the same time, throw some pieces and then handbuild using forms or pinch pots. What I am learning is to find what works for me, what I feel like creating, putting my own spin on my pots. I can be a slow learner because it is easier not to step out of my comfort zone, but then I meet up with a friend and throw something large using more than five pounds of clay....a very large bowl, plate, vase.....with my friend who makes these items. Happy Potting.

Nope. I'm stuck on handbuilding for the present. Not sure I want the mess of a wheel...and when I look at the "pitchers" that are out there on Google/Etsy/etc....all I see are altered thrown vessels with a handle slapped on them. As fast as some folks can toss a vessel...pull a spout and slap on a handle...they seem very common, similar, and uninspired to my (untrained, LOL) eye for the most part. Yes...there are exceptions... like >>your work<<..... LOL....

90% of the comments I've recieved have been in the realm of "I haven't seen anything like this".....which is either gonna be real GOOD...or..um...real BAD when we go to market. :lol:

Either way....it's for the head, not the wallet....and if I sell anything and make someone happy I will be happy as well.

teardrop

Archived