• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Deidre Haignere

Deidre Haignere

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Are you sometimes torn between throwing and handbuilding?

How do you solve this issue? I love them both and move
between them, alternating--a month or so doing one, and then
I switch to the other. Sometimes they mesh!

Diana Pancioli
Potters Council Board Member

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,807 posts
  • LocationSouthmost Tip of Texas

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

hi Diana,
I wouldn't call it torn between. it is a matter of...what is needed down the road...are there shows or orders required? I hand build and throw. my recent work has been porcelain carving.
I am planning a new series of slab pieces when I get back from the Potters Council tour of Tuscany. I am really being inspired by all we are seeing. So I guess my answer is more how do I respond to inspirational experiences and what way is best to express it.

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita Montana State University-Billings

#3 neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,605 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Never. I avoid handbuilding as much as possible.Posted Image

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC

#4 Frederik-W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Locationa distant moon of Uranus

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:16 AM

Hand building is my thing. I don't find spinning a pot or bowl on a wheel interesting at all.

In Africa the locals hand-build amazing round, very symmetrical pots without a wheel. Who needs a wheel? :P

#5 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

I do both and which ever I am doing is my favorite! As the spirit moves me and as shows demand. Usually a month or more at one, them something will inspire me and I switch. But not at the same time or switching day to day. So far.....Posted Image

#6 bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

I've never seen it as an "either/or" situation. I do both, but tend to do more hand-building because of the forms/items I make. Couldn't imagine being restricted to one or the other.

#7 Edith Marie

Edith Marie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationHelena Montana

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hello Deidre.

I see that you have a problem, doing both is part of your creativity. I like to do both in fact sometimes I incorporate hand building with a thrown piece and I am trying something new for me, throwing a foot and adding it to a fairly large & flat handbuilt bowl.....sometimes I do both at the same time, throw some pieces and then handbuild using forms or pinch pots. What I am learning is to find what works for me, what I feel like creating, putting my own spin on my pots. I can be a slow learner because it is easier not to step out of my comfort zone, but then I meet up with a friend and throw something large using more than five pounds of clay....a very large bowl, plate, vase.....with my friend who makes these items. Happy Potting.

#8 Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 956 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

I consider myself a handbuilder but I do get this urge to throw. so when someone request a thrown piece I am happy to oblige, it helps me keep my throwing skills intact. Denice

#9 teardrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

Nope. I'm stuck on handbuilding for the present. Not sure I want the mess of a wheel...and when I look at the "pitchers" that are out there on Google/Etsy/etc....all I see are altered thrown vessels with a handle slapped on them. As fast as some folks can toss a vessel...pull a spout and slap on a handle...they seem very common, similar, and uninspired to my (untrained, LOL) eye for the most part. Yes...there are exceptions... like >>your work<<..... LOL....

90% of the comments I've recieved have been in the realm of "I haven't seen anything like this".....which is either gonna be real GOOD...or..um...real BAD when we go to market. :lol:

Either way....it's for the head, not the wallet....and if I sell anything and make someone happy I will be happy as well.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users