Photo

How Do I Glaze A Cone 6 Stoneware Peice Without Crawling?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sarasate

sarasate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:27 AM

I've tried to spray the cone 04 glaze on a huge stoneware peice which'd been fired to cone 6.

Though I have the CMC added to the glaze, it crawled as the glaze dries up.

Is there a specific way to apply the glaze or is there anything that I can add to the glaze to prevent it from

crawling before and after firing?

#2 hansen

hansen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, Virginia

Posted 17 June 2010 - 04:37 AM

duh - why are you spraying cone 04 glaze on a piece which has already been fired to 6? At 6 the porosity is starting to tighten up and is not particularly suitable for glazing, not normally. The normal procedure is to bisque to 06 and glaze with cone 6 glaze, isn't it? Unless you are using overglazes or enamels, which are low fire surfaces formulated to go over high fire glazed surfaces. I don't get it? Where is this coming from?
h a n s e n

I've tried to spray the cone 04 glaze on a huge stoneware peice which'd been fired to cone 6.

Is there a specific way to apply the glaze or is there anything that I can add to the glaze to prevent it from

h a n s e n
Stone House Studio, Alexandria, Virginia

americanpotter.blogspot.com
thesuddenschool.blogspot.com

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Try using the 04 glaze thicker. Spray on lightly in repeated coats. Let it dry between coats. It may be crawling because it is watery and running off. If it is thick it will tend to stick.
Marcia Selsor
Potters' Council Past President

#5 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,753 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:16 AM

Have you considered paint rather than refiring?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users