Road Trip/Vacation

I was talking to Chris Campbell about various galleries in Toronto. They are hosting a HUGE Pablo Picasso exhibit this summer at the Art Gallery of Ontario. My own city, Winnipeg, Manitoba, is showing a huge Norman Rockwell exhibit. What is there to see in your neck of the woods? Convince me to pack up the kids in the mini van and head south/west east-even north. I guess. What do you have to offer? I like to look at other potters work, studios, galleries.Sell me on your town.

TJR

Don't worry, I am not inviting myself to stay at your place. This was a chance for us to share some highlights of where we live and what our surroundings have to offer.

Tom.

Come on down to North Carolina where clay rules.

Stop in Asheboro ... drop the children and bored adults off at the North Carolina Zoo then drive 20 minutes to Seagrove and Jugtown to visit potteries all day. Then drive to Asheville via Penland and visit another trove of potters in their studios and see some fine galleries ... drop bored kids and adults off at the Tweetsie Railroad and maybe pick them up again before you head into Georgia to see even more potters!!:lol:

I was talking to Chris Campbell about various galleries in Toronto. They are hosting a HUGE Pablo Picasso exhibit this summer at the Art Gallery of Ontario. My own city, Winnipeg, Manitoba, is showing a huge Norman Rockwell exhibit. What is there to see in your neck of the woods? Convince me to pack up the kids in the mini van and head south/west east-even north. I guess. What do you have to offer? I like to look at other potters work, studios, galleries.Sell me on your town.

TJR

Don't worry, I am not inviting myself to stay at your place. This was a chance for us to share some highlights of where we live and what our surroundings have to offer.

Tom.

Dear TJR,

I have heard the Picasso exhibit is superb. I spoke with a woman just last week who was so excited she somehow got tickets to go a second time to see the show again. It was that good. Know that in Toronto, we also have the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art. It is a first class or maybe I should even go so far as to say a "world class" exhibit of ceramics of all types. Incredible. It is also right across the street from the Royal Ontario Museum. A great place for kids and adults alike. I think you can get tickets that are combined for both the Gardiner and the Royal Ontario Museum so you pay less.

My two cents.

Nelly

TJR

Tom.

Dear TJR,

I have heard the Picasso exhibit is superb. I spoke with a woman just last week who was so excited she somehow got tickets to go a second time to see the show again. It was that good. Know that in Toronto, we also have the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art. It is a first class or maybe I should even go so far as to say a "world class" exhibit of ceramics of all types. Incredible. It is also right across the street from the Royal Ontario Museum. A great place for kids and adults alike. I think you can get tickets that are combined for both the Gardiner and the Royal Ontario Museum so you pay less.

My two cents.

Nelly

Nelly;

The ROM HAS AN EXCELLENT SELECTION OF CHINESE POTTERY. I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE Han dynasty temple guardians .[had caps lock on again,sorry].

Keep those two cents coming.

Tom.

How a many miles (or Days) one way are you willing to drive?Just back from a 1,300 road vacation trip ourselves but it was to the most extreme non populated areas one can get to .Annual spring hot springs Desert trip.Lots of this

How a many miles (or Days) one way are you willing to drive?Just back from a 1,300 road vacation trip ourselves but it was to the most extreme non populated areas one can get to .Annual spring hot springs Desert trip.Lots of this

Mark;

Where was that? What state? I am only allowed to spend eight hours a day in the car driving[my wife even said]. I am also only allowed to visit two potteries a day[kids this time]. Apparently there are other things to see than art work.[said in a sarcastic tone]. You do know that I live on the prairies in the middle of Canada. Like your picture, only flatter.

TJR.

That Photo was taken last Wednesday in the Hart Mountain Antelope Reserve in Eastern Oregon-this road is about 70 miles on graded dirt. Many of these roads have lots of obsidian on them which cuts regular car tires-you should have 6 to 10 ply tires to keep from getting flats on them.Good luck on the trip.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

TJR

Tom.

Dear TJR,

My two cents.

Nelly

Nelly;

The ROM HAS AN EXCELLENT SELECTION OF CHINESE POTTERY. I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE Han dynasty temple guardians .[had caps lock on again,sorry].

Keep those two cents coming.

Tom.

Used to love visiting Toronto and points north in the summers. ROM was always a fabulous stop as was the art museum with the Henry Moore maquette collection. We always had to hit the Science Center and Canada's Wonderland. Sadly, 911 has changed the border movement, but since I got my passport we intend to head up again soon. We also love hitting the Maritime for camping in the summer with Bay of Fundy, and as far north as Newfoundland.

There is a Hudson River School exhibition this summer at the American Museum of Art in Bentonville, Arkansas plus a Thomas Cole special exhibit.

That is 14 hours drive North of us.There was the Garth Clark and Mark Del Vecchio new acquisitions of the collection purchased by the Houston Art Museum. That one opened in April.

Marcia

Archived