Do you know potters who are also "foodies"?

I know a lot of potters who also like to cook. Do you? Do you think Potters and Foodies are one in the same??

I know a lot of potters who are not only foodies but are also accomplished gardeners. The three seem to somehow go hand and hand.

Nelly

Serving good food on good pottery ... Unbeatable combination ... I love to cook ... had company all week and was able to serve from different fabulous pottery at every meal ... Did not realize how large my collection is getting!

I get the most "likes" on my BUY Local Pottery Facebook page when I have an image of pottery with food on it.

I think pots might also sell better if shown in use with appealing food.

post-1585-133770139787_thumb.jpg

post-1585-133770139787_thumb.jpg

Guest JBaymore

The discussion leads me to some additional marketing Functional Artists can do. With each functional piece, provide a food recipe to include with the sale. Be sure to include on the recipe card, your contact information so they can order more...

I've had a recipe section on my website for years and years for various foods that "fit" with the general style of my work.

http://www.johnbaymore.com/page66.html

best,

......................john

Serving good food on good pottery ... Unbeatable combination ... I love to cook ... had company all week and was able to serve from different fabulous pottery at every meal ... Did not realize how large my collection is getting!

I get the most "likes" on my BUY Local Pottery Facebook page when I have an image of pottery with food on it.

I think pots might also sell better if shown in use with appealing food.

Chris;

Is that a Scott Barham dish? We used to carry his work in our main gallery. I should have bought a piece. The food looks good too...mmmm!

TJR.:P

Totally a foodie here. In fact, a lot of my inspiration comes from things I like to eat! I made an entire set of ramekins for Christmas dinner because I wanted to serve individual creme brulees with dinner. Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!

Now - I am going on a diet - so I am making 'smaller' plates, bowls, cups....

Good eye TJR!

That is indeed Scott Barnim from Dundas, Ontario.

He makes the best shapes and sizes for serving dishes ... They are sturdy yet light weight ... I have platters, ovals, canisters and a lasagna dish ... Would also love to have a set of his nesting bowls. His luster work is remarkable too.

Every time I am in the area I drop in with more money than I leave with. :D

Good eye TJR!

He makes the best shapes and sizes for serving dishes ... They are sturdy yet light weight ... I have platters, ovals, canisters and a lasagna dish ... Would also love to have a set of his nesting bowls. His luster work is remarkable too.

Chris;

I was just in the afore mentioned gallery today. They are running a HUGE Norman Rockwell exhibition. Anyway, I was in the gallery shop looking at a book of contemporary Canadian pottery.[to see if I was in it,Ha,Ha]. Anyway, they have a great image of a Scott Barnim vase with vertical fish in red. I like his casseroles with sprigged fish handles. Do you get up to Canada often? Raleigh is a bit of a hike from anywhere in Ontario.

Tom [TJR.]

I still have family in Grimsby so we visit a lot of potteries across the Niagara Peninsula ... several wineries too! I also make a special trip to Jonathan's in London every time as he has a great selection of Canadian potters. We sometimes hit the Burlington Arts center and the Gardner in Toronto. My family members are already foodies and I am converting them to using pottery to showcase their good food.

I still have family in Grimsby so we visit a lot of potteries across the Niagara Peninsula ... several wineries too! I also make a special trip to Jonathan's in London every time as he has a great selection of Canadian potters. We sometimes hit the Burlington Arts center and the Gardner in Toronto. My family members are already foodies and I am converting them to using pottery to showcase their good food.

Chris;

I have two sisters who live in Oakville ,Ont. I used to get up there once a year for Christmas. The Art Gallery of Ontario is great. It has a big collection of Henry Moore sculptures. Also Prime Canadian Craft is good. Can't remember the street. Tony and Sheila Clennel are in Ont. as well. They would be great to visit.I have been to the Gardner quite a bit.

The Royal Ontario Museum[ROM] has a huge collection of Chinese porcelain. Some great Han dynasty temple figures.

Gee, I am talking myself into a road trip.

Tom[TJR].:D

Totally a foodie here. In fact, a lot of my inspiration comes from things I like to eat! I made an entire set of ramekins for Christmas dinner because I wanted to serve individual creme brulees with dinner. Eat your heart out Martha Stewart!

Now - I am going on a diet - so I am making 'smaller' plates, bowls, cups....

I have read that using deep blue plates and bowls has some psychological effect that causes people to eat less, as does slightly smaller than average sized wares. For me though it seems what I put in them has the most effect. Though luscious, that creme brulee is definitely off my list -

575 calories. This hefty calorie count comes with a disclaimer that can be either good or bad news depending on where you order your creme brulee: This dessert that has a wide variety of serving sizes. While 575 is an average calorie total for a restaurant's creme brulee, individual recipes vary from 250 calories to a whopping 950 calories per serving. You can find out more nutritional information directly from the source of your creme brulee, and try to keep this dessert as a treat for special occasions only.

Am I a foodie, I maybe a foodie? Italian food is my favorite cuisine to prepare not just pasta but I make my own ricotta cheese, sauces, and pizza including the crust.

Some of the things I like to make are curry dishes, chili, German pork dishes, Southern pork dishes, Roast chicken, BBQ spareribs, fruit preserves, and pickles. I also like to make French pastries with real pastry cream. I make decadent Chocolate chip cookies, and also French and Italian breads. Vegetables I try to keep them as pure as possible, with a little amount of fuss, those that can be are eaten raw.

Currently I am debating whether or not to buy a black truffle for the pâté I am planning, but the price for one truffle is more than 50 pounds of porcelain, I am not too sure about it.

A foodie, is that a foodie?

Am I a foodie, I maybe a foodie? Italian food is my favorite cuisine to prepare not just pasta but I make my own ricotta cheese, sauces, and pizza including the crust.

Some of the things I like to make are curry dishes, chili, German pork dishes, Southern pork dishes, Roast chicken, BBQ spareribs, fruit preserves, and pickles. I also like to make French pastries with real pastry cream. I make decadent Chocolate chip cookies, and also French and Italian breads. Vegetables I try to keep them as pure as possible, with a little amount of fuss, those that can be are eaten raw.

Currently I am debating whether or not to buy a black truffle for the pâté I am planning, but the price for one truffle is more than 50 pounds of porcelain, I am not too sure about it.

A foodie, is that a foodie?

Lucille,

I made my husband a casserole at his request because he has a fabulous Italian Beef stew recipe that requires baking in such a casserole. I will have to search for the recipe and send it to you. It is rich with tomatoes and wine sauce.

Marcia

• 1 month later...

Good eye TJR!

I just looked up Scott barnim, amd while much of his work is not y taste, I love his fish decorated pieces! I am so new, I can't figure out if he paints them on, or are they stencils, or something I have never heard of! do you know?

Thanks,

Nancy

• 1 month later...

Good eye TJR!

I just looked up Scott barnim, amd while much of his work is not y taste, I love his fish decorated pieces! I am so new, I can't figure out if he paints them on, or are they stencils, or something I have never heard of! do you know?

Thanks,

Nancy

From the dishes I personally own, I would say it looks like a combination of techniques. The small fish look a lot alike so I would think some kind of stencil but the larger fish, flowers and leaves look freehand painted with glazes.

Archived