crooked handles

It seems that no matter how hard I try, my handles are always crooked on my cups. Is this because the clay is twisting and "unwinding" as it dries? If so, which direction (I can never remember)?

are you doing traditional pulled handles or cutting slabs or free form?

got any pictures to show?

Is the cup base thrown or slab or hand pinched?

A very wild guess is that you are pushing the cup base clay one way and the handle clay another, since you are not saying they are also breaking off .

My pulled handles used to twist to the right. This is because I am left-handed, and when I pulled the excess clay off at the bottom, I pulled the handle off centre. I now cut the excess clay off at the bottom with a fettling knife. Try it! It really works.

TJR.

Hmm, are you reversing your fingers equally when you are pulling your handles (right side then left side)? Also, sometimes it helps me to look at the 'center line' from an angle when I'm lining handels up (/ not | or -). If I look vertical or horizontal I can get things out of line, and, a look from the top (handle ~5 o'clock) is different from a look from the side. On top of that. a look from the left is different from a look from the right. Visit the handle from all perspectives. Just because its the topic: The aesthetic of your handle is like 80% negative space, not the handle.

I hope some of that was of use.

It is my belief that the drying of the handle has nothing to so with the twisting you describe. Having seen a bit of this in the past, it caused me to examine my methods and make some changes. IMHO your "twisting" is not really a twisting at all; it is simply that you pressed the handle on crookedly.

If I make my scored and slipped areas perfectly straight, vertically, I'm half way there. Next, I always turn the mug so that the handle area is facig directly toward my face, before I press in the bottom. How else can I see if it is straight or not?

Best of luck to you.

post-12917-133679689053_thumb.jpg

post-12917-133679691388_thumb.jpg

post-12917-133679689053_thumb.jpg

post-12917-133679691388_thumb.jpg

The twisting is because of the centrifugal force of the earth,

and you will get a different twist depending whether you are in the southern or northern hemisphere.

Of course I'm just kidding. Just have a very straight eye when you put them on - line them up.

And if they are not perfect - it just adds more character.

Good luck.

It is my belief that the drying of the handle has nothing to so with the twisting you describe. Having seen a bit of this in the past, it caused me to examine my methods and make some changes. IMHO your "twisting" is not really a twisting at all; it is simply that you pressed the handle on crookedly.

If I make my scored and slipped areas perfectly straight, vertically, I'm half way there. Next, I always turn the mug so that the handle area is facig directly toward my face, before I press in the bottom. How else can I see if it is straight or not?

Best of luck to you.

Is that a strait iron oxide underglaze?

I sympathize with the crooked handles. I am cursed with the ugliest handles in all of potterdom.

I cannot seem to pull a decent handle- they are always crooked, too wide, too narrow, too BIG, not big enough, have thick and thin spots, or are covered with splotches of slip that I didn't see until the pot was fired. I have had very good potters try to help me with this affliction, nothing seems to help.

The thumb mug was my friend, until I decided that that was too easy, and a coward's way out. I am working on my problem, hope to resolve it one day. I do have some friends who tell me that I am far too hard on myself, that my handles are perfectly acceptable. But then they are my friends....or maybe not.

I am sorry that I cannot help you with your problem, bianca, but I do appreciate you posing this question. I would like to see a picture of what your handles.

• 11 months later...

Archived