What do you think about my vase?

Im 17 years old and have been doing pottery for 10 months now,

I have my own studio in my basement with a wheel and 2 kilns

Ive been selling my pottery to afford all this stuff but Im still trying to get better

any critiques on my vases?

trees are kind of my forte

Congratulations on being brave enough to put your work out there and welcome to the obsession of clay!

Your work looks about what I would expect from someone who has been throwing for a year. You are imaginative in your surface treatments and this will get more exciting as you progress. Your forms look a little heavy though so practice throwing cylinders until you can get nice even sides and bottoms. Throw, slice in half, examine ... Throw again. Boring but worthwhile.

Also, next time you photograph your work take away the clutter so it is only your work that shines. No need to have us looking around at the room and other artwork when it's your work you want us to focus on. :)

Please, keep sending images as you progress ... I think you have a good future ahead of you.

Congratulations on being brave enough to put your work out there and welcome to the obsession of clay!

Your work looks about what I would expect from someone who has been throwing for a year. You are imaginative in your surface treatments and this will get more exciting as you progress. Your forms look a little heavy though so practice throwing cylinders until you can get nice even sides and bottoms. Throw, slice in half, examine ... Throw again. Boring but worthwhile.

Also, next time you photograph your work take away the clutter so it is only your work that shines. No need to have us looking around at the room and other artwork when it's your work you want us to focus on. :)

Please, keep sending images as you progress ... I think you have a good future ahead of you.

Thank you for the advice! :)

I took that in class right when it came outta the kiln because i was too excited to take it home into the photo booth i have set up.

I will be posting more soon! :)

I really like the tree on the pot. Very well done!

However I think the pot is too black - it is so black that it eliminates any possibility of

showing hue or texture which would be a better background to your tree.

thanks!

I agree with you on that.

It was actually an order that they wanted all black

i sold that one for $100

and the other one for $40

i usually like to use iron oxide with a glaze that lets it show through so it shows some of the texture i put on the tree :)

thank you for the tips!

i love hearing from different potters :)

I really like the tree on the pot. Very well done!

However I think the pot is too black - it is so black that it eliminates any possibility of

showing hue or texture which would be a better background to your tree.

thanks!

I agree with you on that.

It was actually an order that they wanted all black

i sold that one for $100

and the other one for $40

i usually like to use iron oxide with a glaze that lets it show through so it shows some of the texture i put on the tree :)

thank you for the tips!

i love hearing from different potters :)

Archived