Did I get ripped off?

I'm going to play the bad guy here and say that it wasn't necessarily a clay problem.
[/code]

No bad guy. You may well be right, and right is right. We've been testing clay recipes and our big problem is cracking. The stable clays we use don't crack often. The most stable clays hardly crack at all. But, what is stable? Pottery is all about eutectics in the weirdest ways. One potter and one glaze can equal brilliant success. Another potter (or another glaze) and dismal failure. I can see it being the same with clays.

The stinging sensation I get though is from a blistering issue on a B mix knock-off from my local potter. They don't get the blistering in their kiln, but it seems that everyone else I know does, and that is about 5 or 6 potters. Now they don't use that supplier. I'm having bloating issues with their ^6 at home. I don't feel like approaching them about it since when I was buying 40k# a year they weren't willing to admit there was a problem. What will they do with my 2k a year start-up.

The potters I speak with, and myself included, like to grouse about how we aren't respected as purchasers of products. But, the fact is that schools keep the pottery business going, not potters; at least not studio/soft production potters like me.

The email I sent to the company was a FYI. I realized the clay wouldn't work for me, pretty much as you noted. I was willing to consider another of their clays. But so far I've been told it was my fault and recommended to buy a book on ceramic flaws. I responded politely and haven't received a follow up. I don't expect any smooching, just some return in kind. So, out comes the Cushing book and I'm going to see if I can make my own darned clay!!!

You all know that I taught for over 30 years-ceramics. During that time I have purchased a great number of wheels for the school starting with the motorized Amaco kick wheel with aluminum pan, an early Creative Industries HP, and MP, and several Bailey wheels in the last 10 years or so. The Amaco kick we got rid of because it took up way too much space. The two Creatives still run great, and the HP was my fav when I left. The Baileys were good wheels to work and teach on, reasonably quiet, and work horse in nature. They have good removable Splash pans, but do have a tendency to crack, as do the splash pans on the Creatives. I have two wheels at home, an Amaco motorized kick that I can not find drive chucks for, and a CXC.

Over the years, I have always had a very good relationship with the people at Standard, and they have kept it up since I retired. I believe them to be one of the most customer oriented out there. My experiences have at least been good.

<quote> I believe them to be one of the most customer oriented out there. </quote>

That is an important point. Standard has always communicated well with me. James Turnbull is a great guy and they are a classy operation. I'll likely drive to Tennessee and get my next order of clay from them. Thanks for bringing that up. It's too easy to forget the people behind a product when they treat you right, and worse, it's way too easy to remember the people behind a product when they treat you wrong.

• 3 years later...

Archived