Glaze firing schedule for gas kiln

Red Rocks

My little 12 cubic Burman updraft has 6 burners pointing up like yours-(Its almost to cone 10 now) and I do not even put cones on bottom as its always hotter there and I fire it only with top cones.I load all the need heat glazes on bottom and cool glazes on top and its worked great like this for past 20-25 years.I know its always a cone or more off on bottom and just accept it.

Mark

Mark

Sage advice as always from you. That is probably where I will end up as soon as I figure our which glazes thru at each temp.....

You don't want to put anything directly in front of the burner port. Assuming we're talking about burners going in horizontally, there should be a target brick in the middle of the firebox that breaks up the flame.

Actually the burners are vertical - coming up through the floor - right in front of the bottom peep. The idea is to put a post or refractory across the middle of the port so that you are not blocking it - just moving the flame to each side.

I also heard today that a local teacher user a rebar pole and he touches the cone when he can't see it. This seems to make the cone easier to see. I am going to try that next time.

I wouldn't put anything across a port. It would probably cause back pressure more than anything, unless the block was above the port at least a couple of inches.

Archived