Glazing instruction help

Newby

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of pottery and have only recently mastered throwing pots, bowls and plates on my wheel. Now that I have that down, I'm working on learning the in's and out's of glazing. There is a lot to learn! Anyway, I have an idea as to what I want to achieve and will be using low fire clay to make a series of bowls. I love the look of 12th century pieces as they look today and would like to achieve the same look. The problem is, I have not found any instruction on how to achieve the look I want. Can anyone offer some suggestions on what type of glaze to use and generally how to achieve the look of the piece below.........thanks in advance.

sf1975-40a.jpg

I am guessing the artwork/decoration was done with red iron oxide, either applied under a glaze (maybe a clear or white) or brushed over the glaze prior to firing. If you are looking to simulate the "distressed" or aged look of the bowl, you might want to experiment with different strengths of a red iron oxide wash or sponging the decoration off in some parts after its been applied.

Archived