4 replies to this topic

#1 Gwendeanne

Gwendeanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

I've never used any stains before. I'm getting ready to start experimenting.
I've been pouring a tumbler cup mold with just plain white porcelain slip, into a plaster mold I made. If I add mason stain to the slip would it stain the plaster mold? If it does, would it effect or contaminate the next pouring w/o stain? I hope that makes sense. I just want to try and color my slip, but don't want it to ruin my plaster mold.

Thanks,
Gwen

#2 INYA

INYA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSlovenia, Europe

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

I've never used any stains before. I'm getting ready to start experimenting.
I've been pouring a tumbler cup mold with just plain white porcelain slip, into a plaster mold I made. If I add mason stain to the slip would it stain the plaster mold? If it does, would it effect or contaminate the next pouring w/o stain? I hope that makes sense. I just want to try and color my slip, but don't want it to ruin my plaster mold.

Thanks,
Gwen

No, it will not stain the mold.

skratblog.blogspot.com
www.skrat.eu

#3 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

I've had mason stain -- mixed with a porcelain slip made from clay and applied as decoration on slabs -- leave color stains on plaster hump/slump molds. I know there are body stains -- that are added to white slip for coloring -- but have not used them in molds.

#4 icyone

icyone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

I think it would be best to try it on an old slip mold first. Whenever I use my red slip it stains the molds and almost everything else. So much that I use specific molds just for my redware slip.

I see you're in Colorado. If you don't have an old or extra slip mold if you want send me a message with your email or address and I'll mail one out to you. I'm in Centennial.

#5 Gwendeanne

Gwendeanne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks All. Icyone, I do have some old molds to experiment with...Thanks for offer and the heads up on the red stain. At the moment I don't have any red stain, but in the future I will be aware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users