Does Mason Stains Stain the Plaster Mold

I've never used any stains before. I'm getting ready to start experimenting.

I've been pouring a tumbler cup mold with just plain white porcelain slip, into a plaster mold I made. If I add mason stain to the slip would it stain the plaster mold? If it does, would it effect or contaminate the next pouring w/o stain? I hope that makes sense. I just want to try and color my slip, but don't want it to ruin my plaster mold.

Thanks,

Gwen

I've never used any stains before. I'm getting ready to start experimenting.

I've been pouring a tumbler cup mold with just plain white porcelain slip, into a plaster mold I made. If I add mason stain to the slip would it stain the plaster mold? If it does, would it effect or contaminate the next pouring w/o stain? I hope that makes sense. I just want to try and color my slip, but don't want it to ruin my plaster mold.

Thanks,

Gwen

No, it will not stain the mold.

I think it would be best to try it on an old slip mold first. Whenever I use my red slip it stains the molds and almost everything else. So much that I use specific molds just for my redware slip.

I see you're in Colorado. If you don't have an old or extra slip mold if you want send me a message with your email or address and I'll mail one out to you. I'm in Centennial.

Archived