#1 Mossyrock

Mossyrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

I need to glaze fire (^05) a few pieces for an upcoming sale, but will only have enough work to fill less than half of the kiln. What is the best placement in the kiln? I have an L&L with 3" walls. I could put everything on two shelves, but would it be better put in all the shelves and distribute the work evenly on them with only one or two pieces per shelf? If I just put everything on two shelves, is it better to have them closer to the bottom, middle or top? Thanks for any help.
Brenda Moore
Mossy Rock Creations
High Point, NC

#2 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I instinctively load small batches in the middle of the kiln ... Am also curious if this is right or wrong.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#3 Arnold Howard

Arnold Howard

Graduate, School of Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas USA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:59 AM

I need to glaze fire (^05) a few pieces for an upcoming sale, but will only have enough work to fill less than half of the kiln. What is the best placement in the kiln? I have an L&L with 3" walls. I could put everything on two shelves, but would it be better put in all the shelves and distribute the work evenly on them with only one or two pieces per shelf? If I just put everything on two shelves, is it better to have them closer to the bottom, middle or top? Thanks for any help.

I suggest loading the pieces throughout the kiln, with several pieces on each shelf.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

#4 Mossyrock

Mossyrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHigh Point, NC

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'll load as usual just with fewer pieces. This forum is great and the people who give their help so freely are wonderful!
Brenda Moore
Mossy Rock Creations
High Point, NC

#5 Idaho Potter

Idaho Potter

Learning all the time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I don't usually work with low-fire glazes, but occasionally have to use low fire glazes to cover a glaze combo that didn't come out as expected. Because it's only a few pieces, I fire them on the top shelf of a bisque firing. Doesn't seem to affect the glaze and I don't feel like I'm wasting space.

#6 SmartsyArtsy

SmartsyArtsy

Chris Seminara

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

I don't usually work with low-fire glazes, but occasionally have to use low fire glazes to cover a glaze combo that didn't come out as expected. Because it's only a few pieces, I fire them on the top shelf of a bisque firing. Doesn't seem to affect the glaze and I don't feel like I'm wasting space.

I do the same with good results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users