7 replies to this topic

#1 trevorpots

trevorpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:53 AM

I liked the first edition of of Richard Zakins 'electric Kiln Ceramics' and I used it often for inspiration and information.
I loaned it and it was lost.
I recieved the current edition from the Ceramic Arts Bookstore and found it was just a slick coffee table book (a different Zakin?)

Does anyone have a copy the early edition for sale at a reasonable price (posted to Australia)

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,087 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

I liked the first edition of of Richard Zakins 'electric Kiln Ceramics' and I used it often for inspiration and information.
I recieved the current edition from the Ceramic Arts Bookstore and found it was just a slick coffee table book (a different Zakin?)

Does anyone have a copy the early edition for sale at a reasonable price (posted to Australia)

Yep, have it, but I wouldn't part with it. As you say there are things in the old, that are not there in the new. It is so hard to find a book that is not written for the collector or the novice. When I do, I hold on. sorry!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 trevorpots

trevorpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yep, have it, but I wouldn't part with it. As you say there are things in the old, that are not there in the new. It is so hard to find a book that is not written for the collector or the novice. When I do, I hold on. sorry!

Ok thanks for the reply.do you know if Dennis Parks has any recent publications.
Like you I now use a programmable electric (too easy?) but his ideas are still inspirational and relevant.
I guess he is still making pots somewhere?

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,087 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

Ok thanks for the reply.do you know if Dennis Parks has any recent publications.
Like you I now use a programmable electric (too easy?) but his ideas are still inspirational and relevant.
I guess he is still making pots somewhere?

Haven't seen anything recent by Parks, but if I do I'll pass it on. I fire completely by cone, no sitter nothing in an L&L electric-although you would not know the brand it does have coil holders of ceramic in the brick-great kilns.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 Ducky

Ducky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWashington & California

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

I found several first and second editions of Zakin here: http://www.abebooks....chard/sortby/3/

#6 trevorpots

trevorpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

I found several first and second editions of Zakin here: http://www.abebooks....chard/sortby/3/

Thanks for the link. Regards Trevor

#7 trevorpots

trevorpots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the link. Regards Trevor

#8 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,065 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:47 AM

The only thing I know of by Dennis Parks recently was his autobiography, Living in the Country , Growing weird.
Dennis lives in Tuscarora, Nv. Pop. 8 or 9 with his grand daughter Aurora.

Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users