Sign in to follow this  
gary_varner

Glaze color way off!

gary_varner    0

I recently spent three days creating a large tile and two more applying glaze and wound up with a disaster. For a large portion of it I used Coyote Cone 6 Leopard Shino which should produce a nice golden rust color. It was fired at cone 5 (which the instructions say is permissable) and came out an ugly muddy brown. I have no oidea what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Lucille Oka    16

I recently spent three days creating a large tile and two more applying glaze and wound up with a disaster. For a large portion of it I used Coyote Cone 6 Leopard Shino which should produce a nice golden rust color. It was fired at cone 5 (which the instructions say is permissable) and came out an ugly muddy brown. I have no oidea what happened. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary

Did you test the glaze before you fired your tiles?

bciskepottery    925

I am inclined towards thinking the glaze application was too thin. Have used some of the Coyote shinos before and a thick application (applied by brush, two to three coats, allowing a coat to dry in-between) tended to provide better results.

Matt Oz    67

It also sounds to me like it could be to thin, those glazes are darker where thin, and lighter where thick, which can be used to your advantage.

gary_varner    0

Try re glazing them ... Another coat and a re fire might do the trick ... just warm the tiles up in a 200 degree oven and glaze.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if that would work or not but sure would be worth a try!