How to fire a kiln?

Great news!

I got a call today from the kiln repair guy and it's costing me less than $100 to get the old Paragon kiln running.... the one that was given to me by the people I bought my wheel from.

I'm super excited, but now I'm a little bugged.... I don't have the faintest idea how to run the thing.

Hubby is going to run the wiring for me.

I've never even watched someone load a kiln.

I don't know what additional equipment/supplies I need.

Can any point me to a resource... like "Kiln Operation for Dummies"

Super news!

One word.... >>>youtube<<<

these will get ya goin. I typed in "loading a kiln". Another good search thread might be "using a kiln sitter".....or "how to use pyrometric cones"....etc...etc..etc

There are also vids on running 60 amp/240 service and relay/sub-panel boxes. Again....lots of info. Just be careful, cautious, and aware. (but leave the paranoia behind cus you will do FINE)

happy pottin'...

teardrop

Great news!

I got a call today from the kiln repair guy and it's costing me less than $100 to get the old Paragon kiln running.... the one that was given to me by the people I bought my wheel from.

I'm super excited, but now I'm a little bugged.... I don't have the faintest idea how to run the thing.

Hubby is going to run the wiring for me.

I've never even watched someone load a kiln.

I don't know what additional equipment/supplies I need.

Can any point me to a resource... like "Kiln Operation for Dummies"

I did the same as you. Learn by doing. The paragon website has lots of video's that are very, very helpful. They even have a virtual controller so you can practice pushing the buttons and turning on your kiln.(if that's what you have.) They also have a search section that I used when I got a message on my kiln that I had no idea what it was. I typed in the search and the answer was right there. I got a lot of information from the video's and then went to youtube for the rest.

Great news! I got a call today from the kiln repair guy and it's costing me less than $100 to get the old Paragon kiln running.... the one that was given to me by the people I bought my wheel from.

If your kiln is an A-series (the type with a gray switch box and 4-way rotary switches), it should be plugged into a 4-wire circuit. Here is the A-series manual, which covers electrical installation:

http://www.paragonwe...ter.cfm?PID=348

A Kiln Sitter manual:

http://www.paragonwe...-Kilns-ver2.pdf

I hope you enjoy your kiln!

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Archived