#1 ThisIsMelissa

ThisIsMelissa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:52 PM

Great news!
I got a call today from the kiln repair guy and it's costing me less than $100 to get the old Paragon kiln running.... the one that was given to me by the people I bought my wheel from.
I'm super excited, but now I'm a little bugged.... I don't have the faintest idea how to run the thing.

Hubby is going to run the wiring for me.

I've never even watched someone load a kiln.
I don't know what additional equipment/supplies I need.

Can any point me to a resource... like "Kiln Operation for Dummies"

#2 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Check out the Paragon kiln company site; I believe they have videos and manuals that could be helpful. Also, if there is a community studio nearby, drop in and ask if you could watch/help them load/unload bisque and glaze kilns. Or a nearby studio potter.

#3 Tom

Tom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:49 AM

Heres the link to the Paragon Manuals

http://www.paragonwe...ion_Manuals.cfm

Enjoy

Tom

#4 teardrop

teardrop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

Super news!

One word.... >>>youtube<<<

these will get ya goin. I typed in "loading a kiln". Another good search thread might be "using a kiln sitter".....or "how to use pyrometric cones"....etc...etc..etc

There are also vids on running 60 amp/240 service and relay/sub-panel boxes. Again....lots of info. Just be careful, cautious, and aware. (but leave the paranoia behind cus you will do FINE)

happy pottin'...

teardrop
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss US author & illustrator (1904 - 1991)

#5 meisie

meisie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Great news!
I got a call today from the kiln repair guy and it's costing me less than $100 to get the old Paragon kiln running.... the one that was given to me by the people I bought my wheel from.
I'm super excited, but now I'm a little bugged.... I don't have the faintest idea how to run the thing.

Hubby is going to run the wiring for me.

I've never even watched someone load a kiln.
I don't know what additional equipment/supplies I need.

Can any point me to a resource... like "Kiln Operation for Dummies"

I did the same as you. Learn by doing. The paragon website has lots of video's that are very, very helpful. They even have a virtual controller so you can practice pushing the buttons and turning on your kiln.(if that's what you have.) They also have a search section that I used when I got a message on my kiln that I had no idea what it was. I typed in the search and the answer was right there. I got a lot of information from the video's and then went to youtube for the rest.

#6 Arnold Howard

Arnold Howard

Graduate, School of Life

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas USA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Great news! I got a call today from the kiln repair guy and it's costing me less than $100 to get the old Paragon kiln running.... the one that was given to me by the people I bought my wheel from.

If your kiln is an A-series (the type with a gray switch box and 4-way rotary switches), it should be plugged into a 4-wire circuit. Here is the A-series manual, which covers electrical installation:

http://www.paragonwe...ter.cfm?PID=348

A Kiln Sitter manual:

http://www.paragonwe...-Kilns-ver2.pdf

I hope you enjoy your kiln!

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users